Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:28 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am 
Dirt Disciple

Morning all.

My Bike in a nutshell has silver (old) brake levers. They look a bit flimsy and I fancy really upgrading them.

Can I just buy any brake levers I feel look aesthetically pleasing and just fit them only my bars and put the cable onto the new brakes?

My main point is.. The brake cables at the end have, currently a peice of metal that is shaped to fit into my brake lever (I am at work hence the abscence of pics) are all these "fitments" at the end of the brake cable the same universally or do you need to totally replace the cable also?

As always, I really appreciate the replys, Im sure helping dumb newbies isnt everyones cup of tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:51 am 
Retro Guru

Upgrading non-aero to aero levers is as simple as buying a pair of aero levers you like.

You will probably need to change the cables at the same time, and even if you dont 'need' to it's a good opportunity to do so. New bar tape as well as aero levers run the cables under the tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master

You are right, some cable ends are shaped like pears and others like little barells :)

Don't let that put you off, as someone has said just buy the cables that match..

Non-aero levers have a better mechanical advantage than non-aero but to me don't look right on earlier bikes which shoul dhave the outer cable coming over the bars :D

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:07 pm 
Old School Hero

Not so easy... the amount of cable your levers can pull is not always the same. Typically old brakes need way more cable pull than modern calipers, hence I would stick to old or old replica ones.

The barrel at the end can be Campagnolo or Shimano, they are not interchangeable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Not sure Sheldon Brown would agree with you on the mechanical advantage / travel / centering of swapping aero levers for non-aero :)

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:23 am 
Retro Guru

I am convinced that in some case non aero levers pull more cable than aero. An old pair of Weinmann's I have work fine with V brakes where as modern aeros don't unless designed for them.
Then again I reckon Campag levers pull differently to Shimano.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:31 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think it depends on the Manufacturer.......Mafac levers were simply agricultural IMHO

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:31 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Doing some research into this subject and taking answers into consideration.. Is there any real need to replace my brake levers? Could i just put "hoods" over them?

Basically at the moment the brake levers and housing(?) are all silver.. i basically want them to be black but could deal with silver levers?

Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:48 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Ahh! See what you mean :) I think we all assumed that the brake levers and brakes were hopeless / weak.

Sure, post a pic of the brake levers and if we can identify them then I am sure some "hoods" will be available :)

Cheers

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:47 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Cheers bud, Ive taken a few pictures for ya. Excuse the mess ;) - Garage is in clip atm!!

The brake levers say "Exage" on them, which isnt highlighted in the pics as its blurry..