Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:29 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Guys,

Just been stripping an old Alan cross frame I've had knocking around for years as I fancy having a go at turning it into a fixie..... :D

It's pretty much all there but never having built a fixie before I'm kinda lost about now......

It's a bit of a lash up.... it's a 54x54 frame but is wearing a set of old Olma forks, I stuck a set of Cinelli bars, vintage stem and a pair of Weinmann levers on this afternoon as well as stripping the gear related cabling out....

My main issue is real wheel and chain line.... at the moment is got a 7 speed block on as I had it set up as a hybrid and a Middleburn double chainset.

Not sure about ratios etc and whether to change the chainset for a more suitable single ring job, also can you buy rear wheels with hubs off the shelf ready to go etc ?

Any help appreciated....

Cheers
Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:45 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator

Could have a look in HERE for some inspiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

For a fixed wheel you need a proper fixed wheel hub, two opposing threads (sprocket and lockring) otherwise the thing unscrews on back pedal pressure. Loads of people on here might have one knockiong around :)

Best chainline is usually the inside of the double :)

Finally, if you are not used to a fixed I'd cable up the rear brake...

Cheers

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks guys, that's a real help......

Gonna go through that thread now..... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:53 pm 
Road Moderator
Road Moderator

Please replace the forks, or spray them silver, get some chrome, anything but those!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:46 am 
Retro Guru

Tel wrote:
Please replace the forks, or spray them silver, get some chrome, anything but those!!! :shock:

I fully agree on that. An ALAN with a steel fork..... tssss. :wink:
And also..... the frame is a cross version, see the rear brake, with a road fork....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm 
Retro Guru

1 other thing. You are going to have to decide if you are cool, trendy and a city dweller who wears tight jeans and tweeds and buys expensive coffee or a grizzled old timer who dated Beryl Burton. If you are the former its "fixie" but the correct terminology which will label you as Beryls mate is "fixed". You'll wear an old acrylic peaked hat, slightly loose black training bottoms with olympic stripes at the bottom and have a faded Carradice saddle bag with a translucent cape strapped on it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

I think I used "fixed" 3 times in my above post..............busted, as my kids would say :)

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 pm 
Retro Guru

mattsccm wrote:
1 other thing. You are going to have to decide if you are cool, trendy and a city dweller who wears tight jeans and tweeds and buys expensive coffee or a grizzled old timer who dated Beryl Burton. If you are the former its "fixie" but the correct terminology which will label you as Beryls mate is "fixed". You'll wear an old acrylic peaked hat, slightly loose black training bottoms with olympic stripes at the bottom and have a faded Carradice saddle bag with a translucent cape strapped on it. :lol:

Here she is....total legend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:47 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Paul, i ride Fixie a lot on the road as it is good fun and good training, i have even ridden fixie on the North Downs - made it a bit exciting! Your Alan will be a good bike for a Fixie - i remember them in the 70's when they were new !
You can get single chain rings to convert Shimano or Campag road chainsets to single speed use - with the proper spacing and chain line - i recommend - www.velosolo.co.uk for chainrings and all other stuff you may need. Their bolt on cog conversions are good also - i did my own on a Hope pro 2 front hub. Plenty of track wheels / hubs etc on Ebay. I ride 46 chainring x 17 sprocket for 73'' gearing which is good for the area i ride - i can get up most small inclines but it is a struggle up a big hill ! you can then ride a steady 17 / 18 mph average and spin madly downhill. i can keep up with my road bike pals on all but the fastest flat parts when they wind up a big gear. Happy to help if you need any more advice - happy spinning ! Mark