'Constrictor' wooden tubular rims

Schnell

Retro Newbie
Hi, I came upon a set of wooden 'Constrictor' rims at an antique sale and decided on a whim to buy them. They look more or less identical to: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikegerris ... 06/detail/

One is laced to a rear track hub, a Radnalls Allsteel Sportex, which I haven't found any reference to on the internet.

They're grubby and dusty but are in surprisingly good shape, but essentially I've no idea what to do with them. I'm not sure if trying to build/rebuild would result in a sudden crumbling into dust. Any idea if they're worth anything to anyone? I would like to see them used and built up nicely, but I don't have the time or expertise to work with this sort of material.

Thanks

Blimey, Constrictor rims were considered "old" when I worked in a bike shop in the 70's.... Not sure I'd like to ride them but should be OK if someone considering a static build, maybe from the 30's/40's.

Having said that we had some ancient wooden rims hanging about the shop which were perfectly ridable. I guess it's how wel they have been stored.

Shaun

Radnalls were a Midlands manufacturer of mainly cheap steel cycle components, suppliing manufacturers and wholesalers.

The rims are probably Fairbanks Boston, made in Paris from American maple with 4 laminations. about 16 ounces each, and will stand riding over anything. Top quality rim, I always relied on mine in winter weather, back in the late 1940's. You can see if they are falling apart.

Hmm as I said they're quite grubby, but without any obvious damage. The full wheel is reasonably true. I was impressed by the fact that it's got double butted spokes.

Butted spokes and tubing have been around for over 100 years (slightly before my time), and in the thirties even 16/18 G spokes were made. Post war butted spokes were mostly 15/17G (1.8mm) not the tree trunks that we see now.

Back