Peugeot Bottom Bracket

ukgoalie32

Dirt Disciple
Afternoon all,

I'll start off by apologising for what is probably an easy question for some people on here, but I'm abit of a newbie... weren't we all at some time!

I got the Peugeot racer in the attached pictures from a family member, and from searching some similar bikes on ebay I don't think it's particularly special however it does have a lot of sentimental value.

After riding the bike for the past year I've now decided to do a bit of a resto on it. However I've had some trouble with the bottom bracket which I hope you'll be able to help me with.

Prior to taking the bottom bracket out (in order to replace it) I had brought a "french threaded" velo orange bottom bracket as I had assumed that due to the bike being a Peugeot it was french threaded.

After taking out the bottom bracket I found that the right had cup of the BB is in fact a left hand thread, whilst the replacement velo orange bracket is a standard right hand thread.

So, rather than buying another bottom bracket, and potentially getting it wrong once again, I thought it best to ask for some advice.

Basically, I'm looking for a recommendation for a bottom bracket to replace the existing one. I'm looking to retain a classic look, and I am more than happy to buy second hand (ebay links are fine!).

I should note that the axle length is approx 120mm and the BB is a 68mm. Should any more information needed I will measure/take photo's where needed.

Looking to spend up to around £40 (ish).

Many thanks in advance for any help given...

Attachments

• DSCN0561.JPG
    DSCN0561.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 7,253
bb

I suppose it depends if you want to keep it all classic, but for ease of fitment, longevity and price a shimano UN54 sealed bottom bracket (in 120mm length) will fit fine for about £20, plus £5 or £10 for the fitting tool? Good luck!

Thanks very much for the reply! If I have to then I'll go with 'modern' style such as the Shimano.

I would prefer, if possible to get something which looks reasonably original, although all I seem to see on ebay are Campagnolo items which go for much more than my £40 ish budget!

Am I correct in thinking that the threads of my BB are french threads, or will they be English?

Cheers,

Ben

bb

Assuming its a UK purchased bike (it looks like it - the 'Carbolite' sticker is in English) then it'll be English threads. You are right, old style bottom brackets are getting more difficult to find but in actual fact your local bike shop may well be able to still got hold of something quite bog standard.

From the decal scheme, your Pug can be dated to between 1982 and 1985 (if you have the original wheels, they should be Maillard hubs which have a plain date code: "nn nn", the first pair of numbers are the week of manufacture and the second are the year).

Peugeot made the switch from French to British threads (with a little Swiss for good measure) starting in 1980 and not completing the job until 1986!

A 68mm shell could be French or British, but a British fixed cup will be left hand threaded (ie the opposite of a normal thread).

Your Pug has a British BB, so the Sugino will fit, however you need to check the length of your spindle: if you fit one of a different length the chainline will be out.

What is worn-out on your current BB: cups, spindle or both? I have a BB from a similar era Pug that you can have for the cost of postage.

I'm house-sitting at the moment, but will be popping home today, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Thanks for your help. Having read through Sheldon's (I think) I'm somewhat clearer!

I've measured the spindle which was in the bike and the measurements are:

A = 32mm

B = 55mm

C = 34mm

D = 121mm

Which confusingly doesn't seem to fit any of the types Sheldon mentions. The spindle has the markings TTS and 121 on it.

Not sure what TTS stands for, but 121 is the width (length) of the spindle, which you've confirmed with your measurements.

A mm or so either side of that should be fine, but I think the Sugino will be too wide at 124.5mm

It also has a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) taper, rather than ISO. Far Eastern kit is normally JIS and European ISO. Assuming your cranks are original, then they will have an ISO taper. Velosolo's FAQ has more info.

In short, what you're looking for is a 121mm English threaded BB with a square, ISO taper for a road double chainset (assuming it is a double and not triple).

As a double is pretty much the norm, retailers will state if it's for a triple or single (often called pista or track), so assume double unless otherwise stated.

I think you'll struggle to find a new BB in 121mm: it's a lot longer than any of the current kit, so you'll need to scour Ebay, Hilary Stone and forum ads (try posting in Wanted).

But like I said: what's wrong with yours, I have one that may do the job.

Back