Help! Need my forks repaired/replaced!

JimGT

Dirt Disciple
Hi

I come here chastened and extremely mad at myself, but last night the opportunity arose for an hour's ride while my daughter did swimming training. Stuck the bike onto the roof and drove to the pool, deep in conversation with daughter about her impending braces, completely forgot about the 2m barrier at the entrance to the car park.

You can guess the rest...

So the upshot is that the chrome front mudguard is trashed, the front forks are bent and there is a dent in the head tube - although there doesn't seem to be any restriction on the steering movement.

So my question is - can I get the forks straightenend anywhere in the West Midlands, Worcestershire area and if not what do I need to specify to start looking for a replacement set. I've heard off another forum that 70s Peugeot forks are pretty generic and to a standard size. the bike I've got is not exactly like this but is based on one of these frames in 57cm and running 28 inch wheels.

http://www.peugeotshow.com/1975nl_07.html

Thanks in advance

Jim

Attachments

• cleanpug.JPG
    cleanpug.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 527
Just a note of caution. If you have ever seen a set of forks collapse under a rider, you will dump them and go for a new set ! In my opinion its not worth the risk of straightening them.

Thanks - sobering thought.

Looks like a replacement set is the way it's going anyway. This morning I've spoken to the chap I bought the bike off earlier in the year and he has a few pairs of old forks in his workshop I can go and check out. So I'll be doing that this evening.

Fingers crossed that there's a match there somewhere.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

I've thought about a cycle carrier of some description myself. Looked into the rear carriers but most seem to need a tow hitch which makes it expensive. Never fancied the roof carrier because I know I would do exactly what you have! Not just barriers, I've seen some pretty low tree branches on the lanes. Looks like I'll stick to putting the seats down and loading up into the back of the car.

You could try Trevor Jarvis for possible repair. Or a least a yay :) or nah :(

http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

Their based in Abberley, Worcestershire.

Although if your lucky, Ebay for a replacement set will probably be the cheaper option.

I went through the same thought process as Rob, and ended up buying a Thule G6 (as well as getting a towbar and removeable ball fitted to my Honda FR-V).

Best £1000 I have spent, the bikes live out of the slipstream on the back of the car, you can still get into the boot whilst the bikes are in place and no worries about low barriers/car ports (which we have and was my primary thinking for getting a rear carrier). I spent a fantastic week in France in June in that car, carrying two 29ers, a whole load of cycling gear and clothes and my mate, did over 2000 miles and the mpg was about the same as if I didn't have it on. One worry I do have with it though is the width. With a 29er or two on it adds a couple of inches either side to the width (no more than the mirrors) but I still worry I will clip it.

Oh and about the bike, I would get it checked, as others have suggested, to see if it is still true and if not can it be fixed (if the down or top tube are crimped it might be a write off)

So last night took the battered Peugeot to Bicycle Repair Man and he either has some chrome forks that will fit or can order a replacement in.

He also reckons that he has a front mudguard as well so I might get it back pretty much as it was before the accident.

I dearly hope that will be the case as it broke my heart to see the poor thing dangling off the car park barrier by its handlebar like Mussolini on his lamp post. It wasn't a pretty sight, crumpled chrome mudguard and front wheel askew.

Rest assured from now on it's going in the boot.

So, tonight I picked up the Pug from Bicycle Repair Man and he's done a sterling job.

Just 72 hrs after I thought all was lost, it's now like this.

Phew!

Attachments

• Pug4.JPG
    Pug4.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 386
  • Pug6.JPG
    Pug6.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 386
  • Pug7.JPG
    Pug7.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 386
Back