Help identifying a Freddie Grubb

weeman_mtb

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've been lurking in this section a bit this year since doing my first retro road ride back in June and more recently aquiring an old Bianchi from the scrapyard.

Last week I was checking my local scrapyard as I do daily on my morning break when I saw this on the heap. I'll never ride this frame as it's way too big for me but there was no way that I could leave it there, it's just too nice IMO.

So what can you tell me about this frame? I've been doing a little research here http://www.nkilgariff.com/ but can't really nail the model/year.

Notice in the photo of the rear chainstays that one seems to curve upwards and one downwards, don't know whether that is a feature or a problem :?

Attachments

• Grubb 8.JPG
    Grubb 8.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,778
  • Grubb 7.JPG
    Grubb 7.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Grubb 6.JPG
    Grubb 6.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,777
  • Grubb 5.JPG
    Grubb 5.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Grubb 4.JPG
    Grubb 4.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Grubb 3.JPG
    Grubb 3.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Grubb 2.JPG
    Grubb 2.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,776
  • Grubb 1.JPG
    Grubb 1.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1,776
Such a nice frame...... the chainstays are not "vibrant", they are bent, not sure if they could be cold re-set.

Shame :)

Shaun

Oh well at least I know for definite that this frame needs some serious work, just hope it can be rescued.

I've been pointed in the direction of the period 49-52 and can see some similarities with the Côte D'Azur frame. Although the forks are different the double brace on the seatstay is certainly present.

GasPipeWarrior":3eirlcwm said:
Lovely frame.

Wish I had such a helpful scrapyard in the South Brum area.

Small and friendly scrapyard, only been open a few months and less than a couple of hundred yards from my work. I go for a stroll there every morning, you never know what is going to turn up.

Saw a couple BITD.........have a look for Perfection exquisite. Needs keeping and restoring IMHO

Shaun

Midlife":3g6k6qj7 said:
Needs keeping and restoring IMHO
Shaun

Totally agree, just needs to be someone who is a lot taller than me.

Don't think it's a Perfection exquisite, the one I've just googled has slightly fancier lugs.

Hi, nice frame, very rare and worth any effort put into it. It does look like a Côte D'Azur frame from the late forties, and there should be a serial number on the Bottom Bracket, can you check, it maybe faint, that will help to age it, but 1948/9 looks about right. Terry

Back