Shallow theaded bottom bracket

gregs656

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

The frame I got which arrived here yesterday seems to have a very shallow threaded bottom bracket - that is, the width of the threads only seems to be about half the width of the cups I've got.

Trying to fit an Athena BB - taken off a bike with a 68mm bb, the same as the bike I want to fit it to.

Whats the story with that?

You only need 6 turns for full mechanical engagement - if you can screw the cups right in then it'll be OK. Your problem is that if the threads finish blind, ie you can't screw the cups in - you could get the cups turned down?

No the pitch is fine.

The problem is that I get to the end of the threads before the cups are all the way in. It can't be as simple as cutting the cups down?

Here's a picture

F75444F2-D52E-42E8-9898-B64F595CDDBF-52050-0000423FC3FC3496.jpg

Bit of a fag to be honest, I was hoping to have it up and running today - albeit with out a front mech. I'm holding the cup more or less below where the threads end - if that isn't clear.

Didn't the Centaur / Athena range from the late 80's have only about 10 threads before a raised lip that takes the end of the cup away from the inside of the BB...... either that or get a LBS just to run a few more threads down the BB.

I'll have a google LOL

Shaun

I think it's a sealed BB - looking online it seems some of them do have more threading than others.

The BB is a cinelli, embossed with their logo. Have to say it is a nice thing. The frame is a Dave Marsh LowPro in 753r.

edit: forgot to say I don't think you would be able to get a wheel on it if there was a brace - horizontal drop outs and the tolerances are quite tight

AED78C7D-D46F-451D-8815-8B02D5E7E23B-50552-000040DE9E120BAD.jpg

My back couldn't cope with that now :) Looks like a pink reynolds 753r sticker :)

A later frame than imagined from the pic so not surprised an older BB cup might not fit, glad you got it sorted :D

Cheers

Shaun

Back