Finding and fitting 700c wheels to bike - advice?

DMZ

Devout Dirtbag
Trying to work out the most cost effective way of getting a set of whizzy 700c's on my old (but epic) bike.

I have rear drops of 135mm....this is all you need to know, all other complications have already been debated/ are accounted for!!!!

For this particular bike, I have made the choice of placing strength over all-out weight reduction (riding over average roads, carefully, but you can't always be perfect); but really need to keep costs down. I will go for a heavier wheel not because its cheaper but because it might have a good reputation for durability, for example.

I was thinking of finding a dirt cheap second hand couple of 700c's for this little experiment, and then sort out the rear sizing. Options include spacers; spacer and redish; or right size hub and relace.

OR have the rear wheel built from scratch from new but budget parts (unless there is a magic source of cheap book quality rims/spokes/135mm hubs) with the correct rear hub. Concern is I might not get the quality I want there though if I go dirt cheap on components. Willing to compromise on cheapness only I get a good result - I don't want to wind up paying the same for a low quality new build as for a good quality wheel I might have to modify at some additional (but maybe worthwhile) expense...

Opinions valued from you good ladies and gents with regard to:
- The best choices/brand/wheels in 700c for durability etc
- The most cost effective way of making the rear wheel work when weighed up with potential cost of wheels/components, with the assumption that it has to be 700c's (again, already debated!)
- Any recommended suppliers or wheel builders (I am Cambridge based, but there is mail)
- AND in all cases **if anyone had a set of old but still working 700c's they can shove in my direction for minimal cost which I can experiment with ** I would be eternally grateful....

Cheers

I have a set of wheels you could have on the cheap. The front needs new. Bearings and some time spent cleaning the cups properly - but I think they should work ok. The rear seems to run ok but you will want to have a look in there anyway I would think. Nothing fancy mind - exage hubs on alesa rims.

gregs656's wheels sound ideal, I have Exage hubs on Sun rims on my road hack and they've taken a good beating fully loaded almost every day for about 4 years!

If you have a bit more I'd look for used Deore XT non disc hubs (135mm rear OLD) with Mavic touring rims like A119 or maybe DT Swiss rims. Not the cheapest options but you get what you pay for and £100 is nothing for a the type of wheels you're after secondhand. Hubs will be smooth and serviceable, rims will be lightish and quite strong, overall weight will be relatively low. They will take a big tyre range from 28mm right up to 2"

"Cheap, light, strong - pick two" is the famous quote I believe from Tom Ritchey, and it's pretty tried and tested.

Your own comment "Concern is I might not get the quality I want there though if I go dirt cheap on components. Willing to compromise on cheapness only I get a good result - I don't want to wind up paying the same for a low quality new build as for a good quality wheel I might have to modify at some additional (but maybe worthwhile) expense... " avoid cheapo stuff, why bother - just save a little more money and buy something infinitely better in the exact size you want. Value for money > price every time!

What is the frame and what width tyres are you planning on?

For cheap and very robust them may I sugest this build.

Rigida Sputnik rims 36H rear 32H front
Shimano LX hubs
Sapim race spokes front and NDS rear
Sapim leader (plain guge) DS rear.

It's a wheel set I build and is low cost for a custom built set of wheels.
Pm me if you want the RB'er price.

However any shop with an RJ chickens account and that should be most decent shops will be able to by these rims and build for you.

Of course second hand can be alot cheaper.

The sputnik is pretty standard fair for touring bikes. The downside is the 700g weight of the rim which is much more than mavics rims but the rim is only £19 , has a very thick braking surface and build into a very durable wheel.

The strength/lightness debate...

1. go 36 spoke instead of 32

2. any lightweight rim will do so long as it's double-eyeletted

3. bigger tyres to soften the blow. I use 28s on my workbike and 23 on the road bike.

Thanks all, the cogs are turning in my mind box. Cheers for offers, I'm thinking...and looking at some quality second hand stuff at the moment....

Frame is my avatar. There is clearance. Using smallest tires. Might think I'm mad (well I am) but I've ridden this bike long time, amazing light, stiff, responsive tiny frame not just for wives and kids... if the experiment works it will be worth it...

Oh, good luck, for using that frame you are best off with seond hand.

I have some scrap 700C wheels (hybrid for 28mm+ tyres) in need of axles, cones and brearings. Rims and spokes are fine. Posting always costs and you may have a line on a cheaper alternative.

Yes - just trying to find the best quality second hand for as little as possible so I'm not throwing too much at it if it doesn't work. That said, I'll just use the wheels for something else if I don't like the ride..

Back