Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:17 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Carlton Cobra
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:58 pm 
Retro Guru

Well, hello - I've just bought a Carlton Cobra!

The frame number indicates that it was built in January 1977, in Nottingham. There's no Reynolds stickers anywhere, but there are the remains of a TI sticker, so it might be Tru-Weld tubing. The frame is coated in chrome, with red and black lacquer. The chrome's got a lot of rust spots on it, which I'm currently in the process of cleaning up.

Component-wise, it has a Weinmann 610 on the front, and a 750 on the back. It's got 5 speeds, but I have no idea what type of mech it has. I need to look that up. Same goes for the crank.

The front wheel is a Rigida Chrolux 27x1 1/4, and the rear is unbranded. I can't see any branding on the hubs. The tyres are... knackered. :)

The seat is Brooks, but nothing fancy. It seems to be made from vinyl, and lacks any padding whatsoever. eek!

Here it is:

I've measured the hub and forks, and it seems that the rear has already been adjusted to 126mm. How well, I don't know - I need to check that. The front fork is 96mm, which is a bit annoying, and the hub is 71mm wide, so it'll have a dodgy Raleigh thread within it. :?

I have no definite plan for it yet, but it's going to become my main commuter, so I think the components need updating. I maaaaaay get the frame stripped and powder coated - it depends on how well the chrome scrubs up.

I am by no means a bike expert.. I can't name most of the parts of the bike, but hopefully that will change as I work on it. I've made a photoset on flickr, to document my efforts, and I'll keep this thread updated (if anyone cares!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spatuluk/sets/72157631046915008/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Good luck. Do keep us updated.

Lots you could do, just depends how much you want to spend. I would start by checking and greasing the bearings in the headset, hubs and bottom bracket. Give you an opportunity to have a look inside and see if it's ever been badly neglected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:13 pm 
Retro Guru

The rear derailleur is a Raleigh branded Sachs Huret :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:11 pm 
Retro Guru

ah, thanks! That saves me trying to compare it to various photos of deraileurs. :)

I'll try checking the bearings on the weekend.. I've never done that before. I'm expecting to have a grease-covered toddler running off with half of them! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:20 pm 
Retro Guru

until a couple of months a go I hadn't either - but it's not difficult. THe headset and bb can be a bit of a fiddle - but the tools are inexpensive.

What ever you do, take lots of pictures as you go - when ever you think 'I'll need to remember that' - take a picture instead - they are more reliable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:31 pm 
Retro Guru

I've got one of those in my shed - nice looking bikes from the 70's. They came in a 10 speed blue chrome and the 5 speed red one like yours. Most of the components where simplex gears, weinmann, wrights saddles, GB stem etc. The frame isn't 531 - it was Truwell (not sure of spelling).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:41 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Blimey that was my first "real" bike :D

I stuck sprints / tubs on it and did TT's and Kermesse for Hull Thursday Road Club. That looks in really god nick, congratulations and I'll have a trawl through the photo's later for a nostalgia trip.

They did the red / black in 10 speed as well.....

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:26 am 
Old School Grand Master

And while I remember the OLD for the rear was 126 and they came with large flange hubs.......... 1977 seems late for the Cobra as it was a 74/75 model or earlier..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110238

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am 
Retro Guru

Midlife wrote:
And while I remember the OLD for the rear was 126 and they came with large flange hubs.......... 1977 seems late for the Cobra as it was a 74/75 model or earlier..

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110238

Shaun

I love those catalogue pictures of Carltons......proper bicycles!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:24 am 
Retro Guru

Midlife wrote:
1977 seems late for the Cobra as it was a 74/75 model or earlier..

The frame number is NA7012746, and is stamped on the back of the seat tube. Using the chart at http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html, it seems to be the Standardized serial number from 73-82:

N = Nottingham
A = January
7 = 1977
012746 = Serial number

I can't find any Carlton catalogues from 76/77, so I don't know if that's weird or not. The Cobra from Spokessman's post has different graphics, so maybe mine's a later model.

I scrubbed some of the T-Cut metal polish off this morning, and the results aren't too bad. The area around the serial number went from this:

to this:

It's not finished yet. I still have to rub it with coke and foil (I'll try anything!), then spray it liberally with WD40, rub that off, then apply Brasso and some more T-Cut. At least my arms are now getting exercise to equal my legs!