What is your average speed on a road bike?

otherself

GT Fan
Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
I've just got back into road cycling after a 12 month layoff. Fat (34 years old, 195lbs @ 5ft10) and unfit, I can manage 12.2mph with two big hills on a light carbon road bike (7.6kg all up) after 7 days since I started.

What would be a good speed to aim for a fit person?

I would assume something like this:

Unfit / novice: 9 - 13mph

Fit person / club rider: 15 - 18mph

Elite Athlete / Professional: 21 - 30mph

???

MAMIL

I sympathise!

Just been out on a club run on a heavy raleigh 501 club frame, 7 non indexed gears and mudguards, and we rattled round at an average of 18mph with some good undulations throughout. Pretty puffed out though!!

I reckon your estimates are about right, but a big part of the higher average speeds is probably due to riding in a bunch, and the fact that pride drives you on to try and keep up with the new carbon stuff. :LOL:

About 18-20+ mph average here when i am in a group and never stop at all, when i am on my own the time drops and i stop far more, i normally ride 50 - 60 miles a week so would describe myself as reasonably fit.

When i started properly around 6 months ago my average was 12/14 so you are about right, you will be surprised how quickly you average speed will go up :D

I struggle to get a 10mph moving average on my touring bike, I can get a speed upon the flat but the hills kill me. I'm just starting again after a 12 month or so layoff also, and was only at it about a couple of years before that, so fairly unfit and heavy :(

Although with the touring bike I guess if the low gears are there you tend to use them so end up slower. I've bought a cadence sensor for my Garmin to try and work on getting my cadence up.

My average on my first 100 mile ride was just over 15mph but it was pretty level.
I'm no way bike fit and about 5kg heavier than i want to be, hair falling out of head and growing elsewhere, family commitments etc etc so can only get out once a week at mo if i'm lucky! :cry:

ride speeds

Everyone is different. Stop worrying and ride the thing.You will pass some and some will pass you. Tis the way it is.
peter

otherself":21a4v5jd said:
I would assume something like this:
Unfit / novice: 9 - 13mph
Fit person / club rider: 15 - 18mph
Elite Athlete / Professional: 21 - 30mph
???

Well to me the above speeds is a cock and bull to me ! It all depends how you feel when your out on the bike at that time.

There be days when if feel like plodding along at 9-14mph around the back lanes of Nottinghamshire on my own,
but some days i feel like putting the hammer down[gulp what did i just say] and ride at an average of 20mph over 50 miles,
or if i'm in a group i can easily go for along time around the 22-35mph mark.

Re: ride speeds

half cog":3p2u2f19 said:
Everyone is different. Stop worrying and ride the thing.You will pass some and some will pass you. Tis the way it is.
peter

The wise words of the day I say :)

I always think average speed is a bit of a misnomer tbh. If you are riding in traffic, and dealing with junctions, lights and other street furniture you're forever slowing, stopping and starting again. Where I live, South London, it's at least 10 miles before I hit roads that I can actually get going on. The first and last ten miles are like a warm-up/warm down! The thing is just to find a pace that your comfortable with, you'll soon be able to build up your stamina and pace with time, and as Ian says it's a lot quicker if you're riding with a mate/group, and softer on the legs too :D Today I did a 60 mile ride, alone, it was pretty hilly (up and down) and averaged 17/18 miles, which is normally what I seem to end up with, which seems OK.

Back