Help identifying frame

13oots2

Retro Newbie
Acquired myself a road bike refurbished by Argos and am trying to identify a little further. It took a little while with some scouring pads to shine up the fork steering tube and can just make out Reynolds 53 butted, so can at least be sure the forks are some form of 531.

The frame seems to handle much better than my sadly missed Raleigh 531 Competition and actually seems stiffer, lighter with better acceleration. Closest match I have come to on the forks are some made out of 531SL which could actually be a very bad thing for me to ride.

The rear mech is a Campag Nuovo Record dated 76 and the rest of the components seem to match this era quite well.

Was wondering if anyone could help me identify further? /DSC_0107.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=3187cad4c53de74758c65d876c0109c6[/img]

Attachments

• DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 654
Is the cable for the mechs designed to go under the bottom bracket or has someone just slung it there for convenience?

Shaun

Someone had half butchered the bike before I got to it, MTB pedals and a saddle about 5 inches thick. The guides for the mechs run over the BB although the front one is missing or was absent.

That makes more sense, under BB guides didn't tie in with the features of the frame.

Looks like a neat and well made frame, difficult to see from the pic but the fork crown looks like a cinelli semi-sloping which was used on better frames.

Shot in seat stays mark it as late 60's early 70's as they were replaced by the neater fastback design as the decade wore on. Not much springs to mind aside from that. Any numbers anywhere? anything unusual?

Cheers

Shaun

Managed to unglue the plastic guide from underneath the BB and found frame number to be EMP.76.171, frame also has chromed Campag dropouts. No other real points that stand out and the steerer tube was the only indication it was Renolds tubing.

Frame geometry would place it in the 1976 era if the numbers on the frame have anything to do with it......... if the numbers pointed to 1971 then the fork rake is all wrong IMHO.

Any chance of a pic of the fork crown and seat stays?

Shaun

Please excuse the rust, this is going to be a work in progress, have gone over frame and rust appears to be confined to surface and components. As requested shots of fork crown and seat stays.

Attachments

• DSC_0117.jpg
    DSC_0117.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC_0119.jpg
    DSC_0119.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 615
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 615
Midlife":3jytn7jq said:
Neat frame.........don't know why but it reminds me of a Woodrup.

Shaun

Sadly not a Woodrup, spoke to them a little while ago and the frame number and matching steerer tube number do not tally with their numbering system. Must admit it does bear more that a passing resemblance to the Woodrup's I found pictures for.

Shame it's not a Woodrup as it is a very nice looking frame and quality at that :)

The thing that made me think it was a Woodrup was the stays and the lever bosses. The lever bosses always seemed a bit nearer the head tube than others.

The other frame builder from the 70's that seemed to put the levers a bit higher up than most was Bob Jackson.....

In fact a Frame builder moved from Bob Jackson to Woodrup about that time :)

Might be a Bob Jackson ?

Shaun

Back