New Retro Rim choice for L'eroica?

bikerjohn

Dirt Disciple
Rather than Using 30 year old rims for L'eroica I can see nothing in the rules that would prevent me using the the new retro rims below.

As i'm intending to use clinchers these would seem to be within the spirit of the rules and may be more reliable than using 30 year old ones..

A few nights research has come up with

Velo Arange Raids http://store.velo-orange.com/index....rims-hubs/rims/velo-orange-raid-rim-700c.html

And

H plus Son TB14's http://hplusson.com/products/TB14

Has Anybody tried them and if so what do you think??

Thank's for coming back to me on that, I liked the look of them when I saw them.

I'll drop you a PM tonight.

OK,

they're lovely in polished silver, but also the hard anodised, the latter looks a bit like a clincher version of the classic Ambrosio Nemesis

I've got Velo Orange PBP rims on my Bob Jackson, which are a narrower version of the Raid. They are very nice rims and a number of people have commented on them. I've been very happy with them. They should set you back about £35 each in the UK. The chap that runs the UK outlet is very helpful and I'd get their stuff again.

Jonny69":phpl3ltg said:
I've got Velo Orange PBP rims on my Bob Jackson, which are a narrower version of the Raid. They are very nice rims and a number of people have commented on them. I've been very happy with them. They should set you back about £35 each in the UK. The chap that runs the UK outlet is very helpful and I'd get their stuff again.

They are nice, but the H Plus Sons is superior for a couple of reasons

1) it's got double eyelets as opposed to single, this secures longer rim life against metal fatigue and cracking. Typically also means higher tensions can be used safely, resulting ina more durable wheel.

2) The H+S is a wider rim, which provides a rounder tyre profile, similar to a tubular. The net result is that it can be used at lower tyre pressure, typically 80-90 PSI for a 23 mm tyre and even lower for 25 or 27... the advantage of lower tyre pressure in a "race" like the Eroica goes without saying.

Bear in mind Tom Boonen only uses 60-65 PSI on his tubs for Paris-Roubaix

The polished TB14's were what I was after as there as near to a MA2 as I've seen.

I'm also looking into Retro 130mm Shimano rear hubs for a 6 or 7 speed cassette to go into the wheel build..

I've tweaked my frame to fit 130 and the cassette's make changing ratio's a lot easier.

I've all ready got a Golden arrow 126mm hub but I was considering something a little more Modern....

bikerjohn":15ebftof said:
The polished TB14's were what I was after as there as near to a MA2 as I've seen.

I'm also looking into Retro 130mm Shimano rear hubs for a 6 or 7 speed cassette to go into the wheel build..

I've tweaked my frame to fit 130 and the cassette's make changing ratio's a lot easier.

I've all ready got a Golden arrow 126mm hub but I was considering something a little more Modern....

Here you go
http://defietsenmaker.nl/index.php?item ... 09&lang=EN

bikerjohn":11omen1b said:
Wow Bargain, shame their 126mm

I was considering 130mm though as I've tweaked my frame from 126 to 130

Get a modern one with a couple of spacers... I've seen it done succesfully. A set of Ambrosio Zenith in polished silver look vintage enough. They're not too fussed at the Eroica

Back