Stuck BB cup

Simplex

Retro Guru
I've been overhauling an Italian frame and the non-drive BB cup won't budge. I've snapped the pins off my two pin BB spanner and tried the Sheldon Brown Nut'N'Bolt method with no luck. The BB is an OMAS "Big Sliding" with a Ti axle and cartridge bearings. I'm not sure if it is corroded or a thread locking compund has been used on assembly. Is there a beefier BB tool with 8 pins out there or does the house have any other methods I could try ? I've pictured some of the bits below, both cups are the same with a lock ring each side.

Attachments

• omas.JPG
    omas.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 452
Stuck

Is it time to clamp the exposed threads of the cup in the biggest bench vice you can and use the frame as a lever?

Good luck!

Ask yourself do you really need to remove the cup ? and wreck it in the process :(

Are you replacing the old BB set with a new BB set ? If not just leave it in place.

I've got a seized in cup on my Raleigh, am i bothered about it ? Nope and its still good after 25 years.

Just to be sure you do know that Italian thread bb fixed cup unscrews anti-clockwise don't you? (as opposed to clockwise for English thread)

Depends on whether you want to save the BB cup or not. Destructive methods include welding a big bolt to the cup for extra purchase or using an angle grinder to cut a slot across the face of the cup and smashing it out with a cold chisel.

Back