Raleigh Randonneur Special Products Division?

ksvb5368

Retro Guru
Bought this frame from a seller who claimed it was a later version Randonneur. It is stickered SPD and while I don't doubt that, i'm to sure it's a randonneur. It certainly doesn't say Randonneur on it. Can anyone help or does anyone have one?

There are a couple of threads on other forums which kind of discuss a similar thing;

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0

It's got a 708 tourisique sticker on it and I have take a few pictured to help. Someone has uploaded a catalogue from SPD with a touring frame on it called the Gran Sport and although the paintwork looks like of similar, mine only has the red fad at the back at that one was 708 classic. When I seen pictures before I got it I thought it was this one which is alittle bit down but it's not - http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=54941 .

The serial number begins with 'F' and although I can't find anything to do with F numbers online, I have messaged a few people on ebay that are selling SPD frames and theirs start with G and F as well. It also seems to be stamped ti15 on the inside of the rear stays on both side at the dropouts( you can just make it out in CIMG2072 )

It also does not have any chainstay spoke holders but does have everything you could expect for a touring bike.

Any help appreciated.

CIMG2055 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2080 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2079 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2075 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2074 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2072 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2071 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2070 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2069 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2065 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2064 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

CIMG2057 by ksvb5368, on Flickr

I'm really not too sure. I think I read in that other article that some people that used to work in the SPD come on this forum. I was hoping they could help!

ksvb5368":1ui9ajfa said:
I'm really not too sure. I think I read in that other article that some people that used to work in the SPD come on this forum. I was hoping they could help!

Shazaaam !!! Here I am !!!

The silver BS6102/2 sticker means that it was originally sold as a frameset, not as a built bike.

Best regards

Amazing! But I take it you don't know which model? Or was it perhaps custom? and do you know what the TI15 and TI14 stamped on the rear stays mean?

Being sold as a frameset only makes sense because it doesn't even look like it's ever had wheels put on it.

Even if not a rando it looks a lovely frame. i have seen some of the later rando's in a similar colour on ebay etc, cant remember what the decals were like though, I think those one's came with some weird brake setup.

What have you got planned with the build?

Midlife":141lywut said:
Didn't SPD bikes have their own head tube badge?
SPD/RSP!

The very last RSP bikes (including the final series of Randonneurs) used a round stainless heron's-head badge. Prior to that, they used the standard Raleigh heron.

The last Randonneurs also had a dynamo braze-on on the fork, so this isn't one of those. It does look very much like the Gran Tour that was sold as a frameset though.

Back