campag chorus/ 8 speed cassette

mynewbrian

Retro Newbie
Hello,
I am both new to this forum and to racing bikes- forgive my ignorance please.

I just won an auction for campag chorus hubs with an 8 speed campag cassette, rigida rims and clincher tyres.
I spotted the auction rather late but before bidding, I asked the seller if they would fit on my frame (70s Brian Rourke) with a 125mm rear dropout. He said he thinks so.
However, since having time to look into this combination, I read everywhere that the hub measures 130mm.
These wheels were to replace campag record hubs with mavic gp4 tubular rims, which I have in mint condition and did not want to pull apart to make clincher rims.
Therefore I don't want to change the size of the rear dropout to compensate as if I were to ever sell the bike I would have all the original build.

Also I thought I could interchange the freewheel on the old wheels (suntour 6 speed) with the new 8 speed 'cassette', however I am given to understand that they are different fittings and not possible?? Can I remove the cassette and screw on the freewheel? In any case if I were to replace the casette would l be able reduce the size?
Oh dear, oh dear, sorry I'm a rookie, but happily learning fast!
Any information/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hel and Brian.

There is no way to change a casette hub to a screw on hub, if it is a steel frame there should hopefully be enough spring in the frame to take up the extra 5mm (2.5m each side).

TheGreenRabbit":2mrfqob4 said:
. . . . . . . if it is a steel frame there should hopefully be enough spring in the frame to take up the extra 5mm (2.5m each side).

If it is a 70s steel frame, you should have no trouble in fitting the wheels; as mentioned above, there should be enough 'spring' in the frame to do this.

Back