Question on frameset on Raleigh Rapide

jo1010

Retro Newbie
I'm thinking about what to do with my (still fairly nice) 1983 Rapide 12, but wondering exactly how much of the frameset is 531.

Obviously the main tubes are, and the forks are not - which prompts me to think whether it might be worthwhile changing the forks for 531 forks from a 'higher spec' Raleigh model.

But would such a change make any real difference to the feel of the bike?(And also, are the seat stays actually 531, so compromising the effort to achieve a full 531 frame - in which case it might be better to get a complete better frame from say a Road Ace?).

Many Thanks for your thoughts on this.

*Edit* should also add that the frame is probably 1" too big for me (a familiar problem from the 70s/80s following LBS advice), so ideally a slightly smaller frame would prabably make sense.....

TBH the geometry of the frame and weight of the wheels seem to have the most bearing on the bikes I have ridden........I doubt you would notice much difference :D

Shaun

According to the Raleigh Lightweight catalogue, the 1983 Rapide 12 has Reynolds 531 double-butted main tubes, Raleigh high-tensile stays with Gipiemme forged ends and Haden Olympic lugs. The fork material is not specified, but is presumably not 531.

Chris.

edit: the forks are specified as Raleigh High Tensile steel with Gipiemme ends. I think my glasses need changing!

Midlife":9lzt2zey said:
TBH the geometry of the frame and weight of the wheels seem to have the most bearing on the bikes I have ridden........I doubt you would notice much difference :D

Shaun

I agree with Shaun's comments above; the most comfortable bike that I've ever ridden, was one very similar to your own.

Back