Retro Guru

Did you go for the slicks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

grilla wrote:
Ian Raleigh wrote:
I use Michelin Dynamic Classic 20mm tyres on my Raleigh and the ride is very good and not harsh at all
after some 900 miles they are still as good as new and never punctured on them, I pump these to 100psi.

That's amazing! I used to run a pair, about four years back that were absolutely shocking. They would puncture at least once a fortnight, I got so annoyed I ended up upgrading to a more expensive tyre, and have since probably had on average one or two punctures a year...
Shame as the Dynamics look fantastic.

At first i thought you were taking the piss out of my post so if you are no worries i can take it :wink:

I've rode a further 150 miles this week on my MDC's, through rough roads - cut hedges[which i shit myself] - back lanes and not one cut or puncture.

I've told many people about MDC's and they all loved them, even one friend purchased four sets for all his bikes :roll:

Cheers.
Ian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 pm 
Retro Guru

No, I'm serious!

Maybe I just had a dodgy batch or maybe it was just the shocking state of London roads, but they were truly terrible. Which was a shame, because I wanted to like them so much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:36 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Slicks? Dunno. I use the same tyres all year round so theat could be interesting! I'm sure that it is possible to get a dodgy batch.

Take those Luganos for example. Both mine had a fault that felt like the bead wasn't seated properly. The whole bike shook like mad. 30 miles and then straight into the bin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:06 pm 
Old School Hero

Iwasgoodonce wrote:
Slicks? Dunno. I use the same tyres all year round so theat could be interesting! I'm sure that it is possible to get a dodgy batch.

Take those Luganos for example. Both mine had a fault that felt like the bead wasn't seated properly. The whole bike shook like mad. 30 miles and then straight into the bin.

My Luganos have been great in use, but I did have to replace one when the glue holding the treaded part on became weak and the tread lifted. Made no difference to the ride though. But "wobbly" is an odd quality and I have not come across that before. Do you remember what pressure you were running them at?

I have Gatorskins on another bike, and as durable and puncture resistant as they are, the do feel a bit numb on the road.

I was reading an article in one of the cycling mags and it seems that the pro peloton are using 25mm tyres rather than 23mm which is interesting, so does anyone know of an amberwall 25mm tyre? If it puncture resistant, light as a feather and cheap, then all the better... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:19 pm 
Retro Guru

Panaracer Pasela TG
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=53957

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:04 am 
Retro Guru

i'll never use tyres and tubes again. tubs all the way. currently using vittoria rally with the amber sidewall. bought some on ebay and they predictably sent me them with a HIDEOUS grey sidewall!!! :shock:

oh and continental giro are good too and still give that retro 80s look that i insist on

:D