Which Tyres do You use?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
Those who have ridden on our last two road outings will know I have struggled with tyres. So what is recommended and which to avoid? I generally use clinchers, although I did relieve daj of some tub only wheels to try.

I have always used tyres with a 23 width but would be open to suggestions. No 19/20s though! The last puncture was cause by impact rather than a thorn/flint.

Thanks as always.

If you are getting punctures from impacts then you need to either check your pressure or if something else is causing the puncture (i.e. a badly cut spoke sticking through the rim tape).

As for tyres, there are obviously, a number of different criteria to look at, such as:
1) What's the max size your frame will take?
2) do you want mudguards?
3) what type of riding are you doing (a tyre that is good for racing wouldn't be very good for a long tour).

Having said, assuming just general (fastish) day rides on road, I would go for Schwalbe Ultremos(also assuming that you don't want/aren't bothered about period look with tyres). For a '80's/90's look you would need to look at gum wall tyres or the like.

For longer rides, or towpath/light off roading/commuting then you could a lot worse than Schwalbe Marathon or Marathon Plus.

Ian Raleigh":29481ckn said:
I use Michelin Dynamic Classic 20mm tyres on my Raleigh and the ride is very good and not harsh at all
after some 900 miles they are still as good as new and never punctured on them, I pump these to 100psi.

Available in other sizes too. Cheap too. Easy to fit too. Tan wall too. :D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=61961

nice tyre!!

I use Vittoria Zafiro 23mm tyres on my everyday Raleigh Clubman. 1200 miles of lanes etc on the current set and like Ian no punctures....i'll be soooo cross when i get one tomorrow :roll: Sadly not skin wall but excellent value. Plus i've not fallen off a bike on these tyres :roll:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31769

I'll use anything that doesn't take superman to get them on or off :LOL:

Currently running on a pair of vittoria rubino's, great tyres but I dread getting a puncture as they were near impossible to get on :evil:

Robbied196":5ldv997q said:

Currently running on a pair of vittoria rubino's, great tyres but I dread getting a puncture as they were near impossible to get on :evil:

You should try getting Schwalbe Big Apples on, Marathon+ tyres are difficult, but these take it to a whole new level. I used the Spa Cycles technique, but needed 3 toestraps AND 3 releaseable tie-wraps just to get them on!

Robbied196":29c6npyn said:

Hmmm! I have some VR's on my Wilier and the rims are made by Mavic and the tyres come on or off with ease.

I reckon its down to the rim makers.

Heard very good things about the Schwalbe Marathon tires. Duranos are supposed to be good too, but I've seen some people having problems with these.

Have used mostly Continental the last few years myself. Pretty much without punctures. Using the grand prix 4-season in 28 mm now (http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k373/a ... ml?mfid=77). And have not had a puncture in 4000 kms. But the standard grand prix tires have always served me well too.

Anything as long as they're not bloody coloured!

Seriously, I've been using Continental Grand Prix 24mm this year: 5,000km through urban (glass) and rural (flint) Suffolk with no punctures and no loss of grip and they haven't cut-up either.

I can put them back on without levers too!

Back