Wiring and soldering spokes

shawnb

Senior Retro Guru
I've a TT build on the go and want to tie and solder the spokes. I've found that the wire is 'beekeepers wire' I don't want 60m of it though! Is there another supply in smaller quantities? is there another wire I can use? guitar wire ?? :oops:
Cheers.

The wire isn't important, it's if it can cope with low temp solder. We used to use copper wire in the 70's :)

Shaun

Rip the copper core from a bit of suitable electrical cable, and use corrosive flux (Bakers?). You do not want wire that has been laquered.

Excellent, thanks for the replies. I didn't realise the wire wasn't too important so that opens up lots of possibilities with copper wire ;)
Shawn.

I forgot the tip about using non-lacquered coper wire........that rules out electrical windings like dynamo's etc where the wire is lacquered. 13 am non-braided would be fine.

Copper wire is good as it has no "memory" and stays put when you wrap it.

One way is to start the wire flat against the spokes at the join and wrap the wire over it to cover the first loose end if possible try and tuck the last loose end under the gap where the spokes cross...............if that makes sense.

Set aside quite a bit of time as I found it took ages...I used to tie all the spokes and then solder. Other people tied and then soldered as they went, lobbing water at the solder to prevent burning fingers......to much water flying about for me.

I was glad when it went out of fashion apart from Track wheels :D

Shaun

Shaun

Just thought..what style were you going for ? ball of wool or a more refined bow tie type effect ?

Shaun

If you go through the hassle of tying and soldering wire, then you might as well use the DT Proline one. It's not really necessary, so if you do it, it's an act of love, don't scrimp and try to use recycled copper wire or gardening net...

I remember very well my first ever set of 'real' racing wheels which at the time
i had no idea at the time what the wired up bits were for on my wheels so after
many hours of snipping/cutting of the stupid looking wire i finally got it all off the
spokes, then i had the job of polishing up the wheels which i enjoyed thoroughly
a few weeks later i met the chap who i got the wheels from and he was outraged
because i had removed the wire and he then explained what 'tie and solder' did :oops:

Back