Anything to be worried about ? - 1980 Stelbel Italian Racer

retromark

Retro Newbie
Hi all

First post here :D I have just bought this 1980 52cm Stelbel racer from Retrospective Cycles in London. Researching this one has been fun and it turns out it is one of a 1000 custom made bikes by Stelio Belletti who produced bikes in Milan between 1971 and 1991 (more on him and his bikes in the next post as it seems I cannot post any links in my first post :roll: ) He is most famous for pioneering the tig welding technique in bike manufacture.

Having unboxed it and fitted all the parts it all looks OK. Needs some derailleur adjustment and brake adjustment plus new tyres, but otherwise OK.

I did notice these tiny pits in the weld joint at the junction of the seat tube, chain stays and top tube and was wondering whether they are significant in the short or long term - or nothing to really worry about ? A close look suggests the holes may be contemporary with the build as some have original paint over/inside them......

Regards
Mark :roll:

Here's a bit more about Stelio Belletti and his bikes http://www.eroicacicli.com/blog/meeting-mr-stelbel/

And here's the photo showing the small pores in the weld that I mentioned above
2da019ad.jpg

Cheers
Mark

"sloppy" is an understatement LOL Shouldn't be corroded (take out seat tube) I'd fill and use a bit of nail varnish to cover :D

Shaun

Yeah I was a bit surprised to see this poor quality weld given his reputation in Italy and it made me question whether it was an original Stelbel. I've posted up on a couple of Italian vintage forums and they seem convinced it's genuine though. Looks like the weld got too hot and started to melt the frame :shock:

Just took a look on their site and I'm a little gobsmacked really. You said it needed new tyres and some setting up, I'd also say that it needed a bloody good clean! I personally try to get every bike I sell to be it's absolute best both in condition and performance. Looks like these guys just pick them up take some pictures and sell them on. Clearly I'm working far harder than I have to!

Yours looks like an interesting frame with some nice parts.

The guy who runs the Retrospective Cycles website actually does the bikes as a sideline to his retro scooter business. I think his mate goes out to scooter and bike jumbles in Italy and picks up the bikes that way. Totally agree that they could make an effort to clean the bikes up before sale. I got the distinct impression they don't know too much about bike restoration and repair so they simply don't attempt it.. I probably paid way too much for her but I really like the more unusual Italian road bikes and their components. She's off for a bit of TLC at the LBS tomorrow.

Back