Hello..Help i.d this 531c bike frame please?

MAGICMCGOO

Retro Newbie
Hello everyone..1st post here...hope someone can help.

I have this frame and would like to know a manufacturer name.
It looks about 1980's.....
Model "Expert"...?
all 531c
Had Suntour friction shifts...Shimano cranks...Lightrace headset
I think it is English BB
Simplex drop outs
(Yes that is blue Hammerite on the lugs!)

I know the bike is nothing fancy but it would be nice to know some facts...

White label states "Riggi Cycle Sport. Bury" (Lancashire. Uk)
No frame numbers that I can see...

Thanks for any help.

McGoo.

Attachments

• IMAG0016.jpg
    IMAG0016.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0020.jpg
    IMAG0020.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 931
  • IMAG0012.jpg
    IMAG0012.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 932
  • IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 931
Looks like a generic sort of 80's frame. 531c frames were usualy devoid of mudguard eyes as the tubing was a race frame (c=competition).

Anything interesting frame number wise ?

Cheers

Shaun

Sorry for the delay replying...
Frame number on bb is BB1110173
I was hoping the model name "Expert" would ring some bells......if it is a model name and not a generic sticker..looks to be a model name as it is on both sides of top tube.

I'm not entirely convinced it's 531c. The lugs look very ordinary, there are no braze-ons for gear levers and only one set of bottle cage bosses. I would expect a 531c frame to have cutout lugs and those other features really.

How much does it weigh and does a 27.2mm seatpin fit in? Also are the fork crown and seat stay bridge recessed for allen key brakes?

Mark.

Hello Mark,

I too am not convinced..... the seat post in it was 25mm but it is too small and the top cinched together.....definitley not 27.2mm...26+mm more like. Not recessed for allen brakes......not sure on weight I will check at work....what sort of weight are we looking at for the frame?....and forks seperately?
Had a nice Golden Arrow chainset fitted that polished up a treat.
It's going to become a single speed eventually....removed the blue Hammerite from the lugs with some caustic free paint stripper that worked a treat leaving the original paint underneath. The frame actually came up ok so I will just paint the chain and seat stays and leave the decals...that was the plan anyway....now I will feel like I'm riding a fraud!....In your opinion is their a slim chance it is a generic 531c frame?

Stripped frame now...still a nice ss frame for the commute.....probably matte black Plasticote jobbie.....Thanks for the comments....case closed!

Back