flat or grooved retro saddles

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
Having tried both a Selle Italia Flite and a Selle San Marco Rolls, I'm still looking for a saddle I can ride in comfort for more than an hour.

I do have a Brooks on the Audax bike, but I don't like the look on the road bikes (early '90s).

My problem is that it is the soft tissue between my sit bones that seems to be bearing the weight, which eventually leads to numbness.

I find myself pushing back so that my bones are on the lip at the rear of saddle which relieves the pressure somewhat.

Looking at the Flite and the Rolls, they both have quite a rounded profile so I wonder if I need something flatter or perhaps with a groove?

Neither are concours bikes and are ridden in earnest, so it's more important that the saddle works than just looks the part, but it would be nice to have something that isn't too garish.

saddle sore

They are both well though of saddles - i've done over 6 hours on my flite with no problems, however as I cycled more and more my legs muscles stopped aching long before my sit bones stopped aching - could it be that you just need to do more miles? - cheers Bill

Ive used loads of different saddles over the years, and for comfort nothing beats a San Marco Regal IMO.....The Turbo is a pretty good one too....I have 2 grooved/cut away saddles on modern bikes (Spesh Romin, Selle Italia SLC) - both light, but nowhere near as comfy.....

Re: saddle sore

curzons246":16i9w6sp said:
They are both well though of saddles - i've done over 6 hours on my flite with no problems, however as I cycled more and more my legs muscles stopped aching long before my sit bones stopped aching - could it be that you just need to do more miles? - cheers Bill

It's because of their reputation that I got them, so I'm a little miffed at my discomfort.

My sit bones aren't giving me any gip, it's the bit in between: close to 4,000km so far this year, although a lot of that has been on a Brooks.

SNight":2569pvro said:
Have a look at a Turbo saddle. Thats what I use and I find them really comfy.

JPB08":2569pvro said:
Ive used loads of different saddles over the years, and for comfort nothing beats a San Marco Regal IMO.....The Turbo is a pretty good one too....I have 2 grooved/cut away saddles on modern bikes (Spesh Romin, Selle Italia SLC) - both light, but nowhere near as comfy.....

I'll look out for a cheap Turbo and a Regal (always liked the look of the Regal).

You've got to kiss a lot of frogs...

Flites are the work of Satan's Auntie and I have tried Rolls without success or comfort!

I vote for Turbomatic II, III or IV. They work for me. Thaey have re-released this classic recently I notice. £105!

Thanks, I'll add Turbomatic to the list!

Any idea which model Turbomatic this one is?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back