Help dating bike

DannyB

Dirt Disciple
Following on from a previous post i picked up my first project tonight a royal enfield club. I know its not much but it looks like it will tidy up well the only bits i am planning to change are the wheels.

I'm guessing its 70's but what shocked me was (bear in mind im a newby) the components make match my old Raleigh burner like for like brake hubs even reflector were the run by Raleigh at some point? Anyway here is the spec and pics oh and a few more questions :roll:

Weinmann brakes levers stamped 22 730 front brake and 810 rear
rigida superchromex rims (beyond repair i think) weco r/hub atom front
MAEDA cassete
5 speed Huret gears

DSC_0134.jpg

The bike :LOL: looks pretty origional bar the seat and repaint i bought it knowing it could be too small maybe even a junior model but with my feet flat on the floor my nads are on the crossbar best way i can explain it :oops:

DSC_0135.jpg

Cant find any marking on crank chain wheel or pedals so unkown although the pedals strip down so hopefully i can service em?

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

I know its not up to much but for some reason i like this little bike even the badge is cool

DSC_0138.jpg

You are right, it's nothing special, but if you like it and are willing to spend the time to strip, clean and polish it, I bet it will look stunning.

I do like that sparkly red.

I would strip everything off the bike.

Thoroughly degrease then wash the bike (as you have stripped it down a jet washer can be used, just don't use it on the bike once rebuilt (it will force water into the bearings)), then treat with a colour restorer then wax. Mt personal preference, which some on here don't like because it is too harsh, they think, is the T-Cut Wax (£5 for a bottle from B&Q and the like), as it does two jobs in one. Use it like a normal car wax. By that I mean put a bit on, wipe it all over so you have a thin layer on, allow it to dry to a light haze then buff it off. I find it best to do one tube at a time, that way it doesn't go too hard and difficult to remove.

Sorry can't help with an age for this bike

Cheers the paint is not very good its a sparkly version of the origional, tickers have been masked off (badly) and its crazy paved in places. I have a compressor though so it might just end up the same shade red as my old mans cortina he is painting at the moment :?

The weimann calipers have a circle of numbers on the back with a 77 stamped in the middle sure i read somewhere this is the year they were made?

Well i know no one is probably interested :oops: but i found a serial number on the frame which was made by Raleigh in Notingham Oct 76 so i pressume it's badged incorrectly or they were bought out by Raleigh.

The non-aero brake levers, hard rubber tipped shifter and that Huret derailleur point to late 70's. Not sure the saddle belongs with it, but the rest looks pretty original. By the mid 80's, shifters tended to be brazed onto the frame rather than band-on.

Cheers after a fair bit of googling looks like its a re-branded Raleigh Olympus even right color. Managed to get a NOS rear wheel so all i need now are tyres :D

Back