Holdsworth paint and parts dilemma

Chuck moo

Retro Guru
So here's my holdsworth
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
It's a 1965 stock frame, not all the parts are exactly right for the bike or me. So I was thinking can I rebuild the bike with modern parts or is that a big mistake?
Also do I keep and tidy up the old paint work or do I get a respray, retain history or dump a big pile of money getting new paint put on.
My girlfriend, friends, work mates and family either don't understand or are bored, please help.

Very nice frame.

Modern parts: fine by me. Done "sensitively", they won't detract from the quality of the frame. But I would stick with 27" wheels rather than 700c (for which you would need very long reach brakes and would have gaping gaps).

Keep the old paint work for as long as possible. Once it is gone, it is gone. And what you have doesn't look shabby.

Nick

Chuck moo":qou0k1bq said:
So here's my holdsworth
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater
It's a 1965 stock frame, not all the parts are exactly right for the bike or me. So I was thinking can I rebuild the bike with modern parts or is that a big mistake?
Also do I keep and tidy up the old paint work or do I get a respray, retain history or dump a big pile of money getting new paint put on.
My girlfriend, friends, work mates and family either don't understand or are bored, please help.

A nice classic Holdsworth.

Its personal choice but I'd go with period parts, to me nothing looks worse than a classic bike with modern components, they never sit right.

Avoid a respray, its only original once :)
A 'quality' respray won't be cheap. To replace whats there in enamel with contrasts on the headtube, seat tube and down tube, plus decals and any lug lining will be around £250-£300. If you did the chrome on the rear triangle and the forks you could add another £250. After all that, if you ever decided to sell there's people that won't buy because its been resprayed :roll:

The bike has 700c wheels in there now and the brake clearances seem good, if I put a bigger wheel in out back the pads wouldn't lift enough, maybe they aren't the right brakes. I think I will stick with the paint, maybe a light bit of t cut to refresh and that's it. As for parts I am going to go with old Mafac and record and use the bike. Cheers

There's a colnago come up for sale that I would like, but I don't think I can afford it. Plus I didn't want to risk selling the holdsworth too cheap. To be honest I wouldn't think it would pull anywhere near the asking price, from what I have seen its probably worth about £400 to £500 ish. In 2 days time I ll be looking for a set of old campagnolo cranks, wider bars and neater levers, after giving the frame a gentle time with some Tcut?

You'll be safe with T.Cut, original enamel paint is as tough as old boots and built up in several layers. For really stubborn areas or light rust staining you can rub it gently with 0000 grade steel wool dipped in oil.

Hope you get some good offers although you're up against a New Old Stock Jack Taylor :shock:

Bike is back off ebay now, going to the shops tomorrow for some t cut and my Stronglight crank extractor arrived this morning, so should have it in bits by the end of the night. I am now trolling about on eBay looking for bits too.

Back