so I am going to ask some very silly questions
Please stop reading now if stupidity offends.
I'm pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to bikes, my knowledge stretches to nineties MTB, and even then it was basic.
I have recently bought an old road bike that I have stripped down, and I am getting it refurbed and rebuilding from bits from here and ebay. I think I'm going to make it single speed re cheaper
However, as it turns out, vintage parts are a bloody minefield! So many standards, sizes, threads and holes. Sheldon Brown has been a great help, but there are still some things I want confirmation on if somebody could please help?
1. I need to replace the bottom bracket. The tube is 36mm in diameter, and 68mm in length. Am I right in thinking that (for instance), I could buy http://tinyurl.com/ctvv7mt
in 68mm and it would fit ok? I would also be looking for a short axle length due to single speed, yes? The frame is a Bromwich, so made in England, would any English thread be ok? Do I have to be careful of a lot of old Campagnolo stuff? Should I stick with square taper?
2. The frame seems to have horizontal dropouts, this means I don't need a chain tensioner for SS, yes? I have a rear wheel with a shimano 5653 hub that took a 6 speed cassette. Will something like this work? http://tinyurl.com/cerhj53
Also, if for instance, I have a 2 ring chainset, and I want to just use one of them, can I just use shorter chain ring bolts or do I need to buy something specially designed?
3. I measured the underside of the headtube, and the diameter of the fork tube. Am I right in thinking I need a standard 1" threaded headset to go with my quill stem? (pics below) Again, do I need to be careful of Campag/weird threads?
4. At the moment, the bike takes 27 inch rims. If there is space in the frame/forks, I should be able to put on 700c and just alter the brake surfaces out a bit, yes?
5. Last, and probably most silly, I hope it makes sense...will all chainrings work together ie spacing of teeth? Eg if I have a Campag front ring, and that SS one I posted earlier on the rear, will it be ok running with a regular chain?
Apologies, and thanks in advance