Anyone Ever Use A Parts Washer?

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
I'm a big fan of WD40 for general cleaning on rebuilds, plus its good on brake hoods and tyre walls. The snag is I have quite a few ongoing projects. Although I can pick up 2 cans for £5 at the local market, I'm getting through a fair amount.

It crossed my mind that a parts washer 'might' be a good investment, but having never used one, I wondered if anyone else has any experience?

Something like this:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... rts-washer

There is thread over at YACF regarding parts washers.

In a nutshell:
the cheap ones are rubbish
you need to spend >200 to get a decent one
Don't use Iso or white spirit in them (VERY low flash point)

If you can't afford one, wait until the missus has gone out and use the dishwasher :)

The one in my uncles garage is sat on a 55gallon drum and uses paraffin. Works well enough but stinks. Unless your doing lots off bits and pieces a good quality degreasant and a toothbrush work best.

The dishwasher at home works well enough for me.. The only trouble is, it took the finish off my XTR M95X kit.

The good thing was, it made it all look better as it all came out with a lovely matt finish to it, and logos still intact :cool:

Thanks for the replies :)

Looks like a non starter, I can see a decent one is going to be £200+ and I hate cheap equipment that's not up to the job!

£200 is a lot of WD40 and toothbrushes.

The dishwasher may be a step to far! The kitchen is often covered in stripped down bike plus there's 4 bikes stored in the conservatory. If my wife opens the dishwasher and finds loads of break calipers and derailleurs I'll be relegated to the shed again :LOL:

what is better than parrafin.........or is something missing from the above post?

Cheers

Shaun

I have a good parts washer, left over from when I had a little motorcycle business. I hardly ever use it for bicycle bits, as nothing is really ever dirty enough to warrant it, although it is nice to have.

Paraffin, white spirits and very occasionally thinners are my main cleaners / degreasing agents. Not really a great WD40 fan, unless I'm putting a shine on stainless or chromed steel.

Back