Retro alloy dt shifters ??

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hello :)

I have a 12 Speed Raleigh Clubman 1985, although i am very happy with the bikes performance i cant seem to get slick downgear changes without sounding like a machine gun at the bottom of a hill :oops:

Everything in the drivetrain has been checked and all seems fine.

My question is this, i have seen indexed dt shifters for sale but only in black plastic, are there any indexed alloy look ones avaliable.

I guess the answer is "man-up" as my kids would say LOL

Having followed the group (Peloton is French) in cars and on a bike and heard the clank / grind of gears it's just second nature :D

Shaun

Midlife":1iokuz3w said:
I guess the answer is "man-up" as my kids would say LOL

Having followed the group (Peloton is French) in cars and on a bike and heard the clank / grind of gears it's just second nature :D

Shaun

I think they are right :D

And i guess i should be looking ahead and planning gearchanges BEFORE the bottom of the hill :oops:

widowmaker":1eeaxqjd said:
My question is this, i have seen indexed dt shifters for sale but only in black plastic, are there any indexed alloy look ones avaliable.

Yes alloy ones are available. An all shimano drivetrain preferably high end (shimano 600/ Ultegra or DA) will give slick quiet shifting....

Sachs Huret certainly made them in plain alloy; I recently sold a six speed pair and I've seen seven speed on here: look for someone breaking a late-eighties Peugeot.

The Shimano SIS ones work well. Shifting is smooth even though my derailleur is quite worn. I just put some new jockey wheels on it and it's great.

Loads still out there ..

For indexed 8 speed - the r400's by shimano are still produced

Dura ace 7800 (10) or 7700 (9) plenty out there.

I like the dia-compe though - they are not indexed, but use a ratcheting system - and IMO are the nicest to use (and most versatile)

DM

I have these shifters (band-on) which I liberated from one old Falcon to put onto my Banana (fnarr fnarr!) to stop the lottery that are the existing friction shifters.

I'm sure someone out there have some indexed 6 speed shifters gathering dust which they'll be only to happy to pop in the post to you.

Back