Freewheel washer, is it necessary? Also weird oscillations!

flimflam_machine

Devout Dirtbag
I've just swapped the 5-speed freewheel on my early 80's Raleigh for a 6-speed (both Suntour Perfect). It seems to fit fine with minimal derailleur adjustment, so I assume I've got a narrow-spaced "Ultra Six". When the 6-speed freewheel came off the donor bike it had a large washer/spacer 1-2m thick that sat around the threaded section on the (Maillard) hub, holding the freewheel slightly further out. Is this washer necessary? I can't see that it serves a purpose except perhaps preventing the face of the freewheel from seizing onto the hub if it were to corrode. The chainline would be better without it and there wasn't one on my bike when I took off the 5-speed. So, can I lose it?

The other weird thing about the 6-speed is that it appears to be slightly off-centre with respect to the hub axle. When freewheeling, although the sprockets aren't turning they oscillate as if they're slightly eccentric to the axle. The only reference I can find to that is here, which suggests that a minor rebuild might be beneficial. Has anyone else noticed this or (more importantly) had a freewheel spectacularly fail from it?

Should be OK, 50 years ago a large precentage of new freewheels were machined a bit eccentric, possibly also the hub, but that was OK before.

Check that the freewheel body screws up to the hub flange without a gap.

You mean when you are freewheeling and you look back through your legs the freewheel is making a small circular motion?

Regina BX / Oro and Suntour did this, not sure why but I guess it's due to the internal arrangement. Other freewheels did it as well during PDI when the bike was in a stand and we went through the gears LOL

We used to fit small spacers to freewheels if the rear mech tinkled against the spokes........believe me it was easier than re-dishing the wheel, bending the dropout / hanger or the rear mech cage :D

Shaun

Also a possibility, the axcle is not quite straight. Which causes the movements. The spacer can be placed possibly to get more space for the deraillieur on the biggest sprocket towards the spokes. To protect that it would into it. (I hope I did explain this a little bit clear. :) )

Thanks guys, it sounds like it is just a spacer. As you suggest it's probably to ensure that the derailleur doesn't go into the spokes. It seems to run fine with it on but, since I've got enough clearance, I'll probably remove it to improve the chainline and to screw the freewheel on the extra couple of turns.

Midlife":14lxznut said:
You mean when you are freewheeling and you look back through your legs the freewheel is making a small circular motion?

Regina BX / Oro and Suntour did this, not sure why but I guess it's due to the internal arrangement. Other freewheels did it as well during PDI when the bike was in a stand and we went through the gears LOL

Yup, that's precisely it. I'm pretty sure that the axle isn't bent since the movement appears to originate between the static and moving parts of the freewheel. Glad to hear that someone else has experienced it before.

Back