Campagnolo BB: fixed cup threads

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
Lacking the appropriate tools, I had my local mech. fit a loose bearing, Italian threaded Chorus BB.

When I picked it up he remarked that there were only four threads on the fixed cup.

I've had a look at an English threaded Chorus BB and there are double that on the fixed cup.

Is this normal and if so why? If not why would it have been modified in this way?

I don't think it's normal, can't say I've ever noticed it anyway. Perhaps the thread in the bb it was fitted too were fooked and the only way to fit the bb was to remove some of the circumference off the cup (?)

Just remembered I had this photo that the seller sent me, to show the spanner marks: it doesn't look as if it has been cut down, if it has been shortened then it was done well.

Curious...

Attachments

• BB fixed cup.jpg
    BB fixed cup.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 456
I got in touch with the seller, who confirms having had it from new ('93/'94) and didn't modify it, nor was it bought as specifically non-standard.

Are you sure that the BB is a Chorus..........I thought the fixed cup had some fancy flute cut across the outside face, your BB cup has a flat outer face.

Shaun

As sure as I can be: it came in a Chorus box and I have every confidence in the seller.

Not sure what you mean about a flute: Velobase lists two, neither of which seems to match your description. Both of mine (one Italian and one English) have the same flat face which indicates they are 1st generation Chorus.

The 2nd generation has a recessed face, is that what you mean?

Yep, 2nd generation Chorus which I think started in the early 90's with a different face....

Shaun

Back