Polished or Standard

Daddy-Cool

Dirt Disciple
I am just about to rebuild my 1990 Tommasini Super Prestige.
I have been collecting various cda and record bits and some pantographed bits.After cleaning them all up i noticed it was quite easy to polish them up to a mirror finish.

So should i polish al the bits or leave them standard?.

finish

If you want to avoid people expressing their dislike of polished bits to you, then you can always 'scotchbrite' them. This results in a kind of micro-brushed finish. Like titanium frames. But watch out if any of the stuff has that Cinelli or Campagnolo style silver anodising.

You'll still be polishing the stuff next year if you want to get rid of that.

In my opinion, the best way to build a retro beaut is to keep it completely standard.

It depends really what bits your'e using and their condition...different manufacturers used differing finishes at various time Shimano stuff from the late 70's and 80's can be a swine to remove anodising, Campagnolo from that period is generally easier, Suntour stuff is mostly very easy to clean.Really it depends if the components(I guess Campagnolo) are scuffed if not and they are in vgc I would leave them as is, they are much easier to keep clean than having to polish them often.

Back