DAWES FOX

tee-one

Senior Retro Guru
anyone know why my dawes fox (v old racer) would say davis components 60 62 on the bottom bracket? was looking for the serial number as im taking a list of all mine for reference (incase of theft ) and noticed this, its not a bike i ride, just in storage awaiting renovation but this interests me.

cheers if anyone can help it would be greatly appriciated.

cheers , dan :D

Hey mate, I know this post is really old but thougt I'd buzz you. I also have a Dawes Fox from 1981 and I;m in the process of restoring it. I wondered if you had any info to share? My bike also says 60 and 62 on the bottom bracket which I assumed was some kind of thread size?

Regards

old dawes fox

Hi there Rogerthat,
i just pulled an old Dawes Fox from a local scrap merchants yard, and these are the martking on it.
Gold Metallic finish ( lots of contrasting rust!)
10 speed
26 inch rear wheel, 36 spokes
Tyre is a Barun Rubera with the legend " Made in Czechoslovakia"
Rear brake has Weinmamm 947 cast into it, as has front
Rear derailieur has Falcon cast into it
Front derailier has Huret markings, as do both the shift levers.
Front gearset has SR SAKAE stamped into the cogs
Crank arms have Japan SR 170 79K cast into each arm, would 79K denote manufacture in November 1979?
Pedals are Nylon or some such, and have UNION W Germant moulded in. The bottom main crank bearing has Tange Industries stamped into them.
I hope to get it back on the road shortly.
regards,
Nigel.

haha, Was just thinking about this bike last night for some odd reason. Weird. Anyway no i never did find any more info. It ended up being sold on ebay to a guy who was going to restore it for commuting in london :D

Hi there, thanks for reply. I have been restoring mine for the last few months. Still a way to go. I had it pro resprayed powder coat black and have replaced with new wheels/tyres and new bottom bracket and headset. Also a brown brooks saddle which can be fitted when I get a seat post to fit. Mine has Hurret 6 speed gears. Old skool hey. Keep me posted on your bike.

Lee

I've got a Henry Burton town bike which I think has something similar stamped on the bottom of the bb shell - I'd guess Davis must have been the manufacturer of the bb shell. Anyone know whether that's the case?

Here's the bike anyway:

DSC02447.jpg

DSC02446.jpg

Sorry, it's hard to see the details from those photos I know.

retrowagen1234":1whedg71 said:
anyone know why my dawes fox (v old racer) would say davis components 60 62 on the bottom bracket?
Davis is the manufacturer of the shell. 60 and 62 correspond to the angles (in degrees) between the downtube, seat tube, and chainstays.

I'm nearly done on the rebuild but have had to replace lots of parts. Fortunately there seems to be a healthy supply of NOS parts around so I've used where I can. These old parts were just not built to last I guess. Out of all the parts I'm stuck on the break blocs of all things? Need to find some ASAP as I'm wanting to use my 40th next Monday as a launch for it.

Attachments

• dawes fox  med.jpg
    dawes fox med.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4,646
Back