Newby alert what do I need to know?

DannyB

Dirt Disciple
Currently just got back into xc mountain biking and started looking at retro mb on e-bay as a alternative to my hardtail single speed on more flat rides where a rigid would be better etc. Then I remembered my old racer then found this forum :)

Is there anything I need to avoid e.g odd wheel sizes etc im currently looking on ebay for cheap projects as I like to tinker with old stuff seen a few go for next to nothing one was a tenner but miles away lol

Any advice apreciated on building a dirt cheap useable old racer :)

Hi Danny :) Any advice appreciated on building a dirt cheap useable old racer Best advice I can offer Danny is dirt cheap isn't going to happen because the more you dig into bikes and how they work, the more you'll end up wanting something better which will cost more.

Honest advice "buy a decent bike that is ready just ride for around the £150 mark" and enjoy riding OR get ready for an expensive journey into doing up bikes :) Welcome to the club for totally addicted bike nuts who never ask what it costs, only if its the correct part for the job (OK I confess my own sins only). Later buddy, Laz.

Cheapest to buy a complete bike rather than build. Ideally with Reynolds tubing if you can stretch to it.

Avoid budget French (expensive French is generally okay).

Avoid real old 27" wheels, or small 650c, 700c has pretty much been the standard for the last 30 years or so.

So is that old racer still in the shed?

*echoing the wise words of Laz there, posted at the same time ;)

Unfortunately the old racer went many years ago lol. I quite fancy the idea of building something up but as you say its not really cost affective :-/ got my eye on a few on ebay near by that are local and cheap at the moment probably not very sought after but they are complete and working.

I know what you mean about the hobby getting expensive though im on with rebuilding my little one pre burner raleigh bmx just sold my raleigh super burner and mini burner and still have a VW Trike to finish so all my projects are long term lol

Just checked the ones I am watching are 27" wheels and your advice says avoid these rest of them dont mention wheel size

DannyB":17tqf9ek said:
Just checked the ones I am watching are 27" wheels and your advice says avoid these rest of them dont mention wheel size

27" tyres etc. are still available so don't discount this size if the wheels are in good condition and the bike is built to take them as many older bikes were. My Pennine has 27" wheels with alloy Milremo rims and Campag hubs which ride very nicely. However, if the wheels are getting a bit long in the tooth or are steel rimmed then probably best to avoid as replacing etc. may cost more than the bike is worth.

Might be worth asking on here too, Danny, there are a number of us (me included) who are in Yorkshire who might be able to help you with a cheap frame or complete bike to get you started.

The ones i were watching ended i had a bid on a Peugeot Rotary job at a massive £10 but it went for £12 :LOL:

As i said i'm not after anything too fancy if i end up with something that most people don't want at least they wont moan when i paint it the wrong color etc lol plus my new bike work stand is aching for something to live on it :)

Looking around i would prefer a project although as mentioned its not the cheapest way but i can do it in bits when i have the time.

Latest posts

Back