how come this Merckx frame sold for so much?

amt27

Retro Guru
I tried selling my Merckx Corsa frame on ebay a while back, it didn't reach reserve, got up to around £150

I noticed this one which went for much more:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EDDY-MERCKX-Corsa ... p1638.m122

any ideas why? it's much higher than usual, average is £250 ish

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think there`s a chance this is in the 7-11 colours of the pro team of that name, so possibly a buyer reckons it might be one of the `real things` - also pretty small so sometines a bigger demand. Needs a complete resray if you ask me - +transfers - £200+ extra for chrome....

Well eBay isn't the most consistent guide to prices as I bought a Merckx SLX with full Dura Ace 8 and ceramic rims for just over £200 including a pair of shoes. Non original forks and paint though.

Merckx decals are only available from Merckx with a respray so it would be hugely expensive to renovate - I reckon the £200+ is right, probably close to £250+...

I guess the seller got lucky.

I had a US buyer interested in mine, as the frame with the same paint job were also used by a US pro team, but the size was too small.

I think its just blind luck sometimes with the right people looking at the right time :? I would have bought your Merckx in an instant if it had been a couple of centimetres smaller :? stunning bike :)

Back