753 Weight?

dflee

Retro Newbie
Hi. I've made a hasty and poorly thought out ebay purchase of a supposed refurbed Peugeot 753. I now have my doubts... I figure the best way to tell would be weight? It weighs in at 2550gm with the forks and headseat. It's also a little suspect as the dropouts are unbranded etc.

Another one (yes I did it twice) weighs in at 2330 with forks and headset (but only has primer - no paint or laquer)

Anybody know what they should weigh? They are 60cm. frames.

I'll take them apart and weigh the frames on their own tomorrow.

cheers

frame weight

hmmm...interesting. dropouts would normally say simplex? The fork crown will be one piece and have a lion stamped on it. Do you have any pictures? My large 60+ cm 753 frame weighs 2.2 kg with forks and no headset (the frame alone is 1.4 kg). Seems a bit lighter but i wouldn't vouch for my bathroom scales!!

my camera's bust so I can give you the original listing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... true&rt=nc

the guy told me it had been redone at Brian Rourkes, so maybe i'll give them a call.

another worry is that the join at the top between the seat post and lug has a gap... that would be pretty shoddy workmanship for someone qualified to build in 753.[/img]

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: frame weight

531 pro":20m7icet said:
My large 60+ cm 753 frame weighs 2.2 kg with forks and no headset (the frame alone is 1.4 kg). Seems a bit lighter but i wouldn't vouch for my bathroom scales!!

I'd check your scales !

My Raleigh 753R frame (55cm) weighs in a 1800kg. I've never heard of a 753 frame weighing anything like 1.4kg.

If you look at this website, you'll see some weights given . . .

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/reynolds/006reynolds80brochure.htm

dflee":vwhr1xwp said:
another worry is that the join at the top between the seat post and lug has a gap... that would be pretty shoddy workmanship for someone qualified to build in 753.[/img]

i can remember peugeot's reynolds frames being shoddy at their best back in the late 80s, i'm afraid. we used to sell the 531 PRO version and they really were rough to say the least. nothing of any quality was used - the lugs, bb, fork crown AND the chrome were all fairly ghastly. saying that, they were around HALF the price of a Raleigh SBDU frame so "you gets whats you pay for".

i can't say that i recognise the coloured frame in your ebay link as being the kind of peugeot i remember from back then. they were all a dark graphite colour from peugeot - perhaps your's was a later frame? also, i doubt if the ebay seller would try and con you - he's got over 600 positive feedback - i don't think he'd risk ruining that by handing on a fake frame.

what kind of threads are in the bottom bracket shell and on the fork column?

craig

Some genuine Pug 753 details here (even if it does say Colnago it is a Pug!) It also was resprayed in the 80's as can be seen by the faded fluo colour scheme!

Attachments

• Peugeot753.3.jpg
    Peugeot753.3.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,319
  • Peugeot753.2.jpg
    Peugeot753.2.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,318
A frame with Columbus stainless tubing (slx?) or R953 weighs more than 1400g, try c.1600g

For the OP 2500g for frame fork and headset is not ad at all. A 531 frame alone will be 2-2.2kg + 800g for forks + headset.

I would have though your weight for this 753 frame is a bit low.

2550gm for frame and forks and headset, for a 60cm frame is light!

A 52cm 753 frame would be about 1700g, 753 forks about 700g.

yeah, i thought the guy i bought it off was alright but I thought he might've been done by the chap who sold it to him.

Sounds like at that weight either my scales are off or its rusted through - i suppose time will tell.

i didn't realise peugeots were a bit naff - it certainly isn't the greatest workmanship. Still it wasn't expensive - it'll make a good throw around for the city and i won't have to flip out if i ding it.

cheers all. very useful to know approximate frame weights. when i googled it I could never tell if the weights suggested included forks, etc.[/quote]

fiks":3hdg39sb said:
2550gm for frame and forks and headset, for a 60cm frame is light!

A 52cm 753 frame would be about 1700g, 753 forks about 700g.

yup, i seem to remember a figure of 1750g for a raleigh services des courses 753.

hmm...

Latest posts

Back