Help needed re Shimano

Tazio

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Help me please road people.

A female friend is looking to buy a road bike so she can do a triathlon and I've realised I know nothing about Shimano road groupsets.

She is looking at a Sora equipped Giant and a 2300 equipped Trek. The Trek looks like a nicer bike but in terms of the groupsets which is higher?

Ignore, wrong place

Sora is higher, but they are both low end Shimano. 105 is where decent groupsets start, with Tiagra being borderline.
Campagnolo Avanti was probably on pair if not slightly better than Sora, to give you an idea

Sora is not shimano entry level. The 2300 range is but for example the 2300 and sora mechs have the same body. Sora is functional and works quite well. Tiagra is abit lighter and comes with 10 speed shifters and functions a bit better. 2300 is 8 speed mostly and sora is 9. That is the main difference between the two I believe.

105 is a very capable level of kit but you can have enjoyable rides on any bike no matter well equipped it is. I use Campag veloce on my bike which priced similar to Tiagra and it is a wonderful groupset.

I will be things like the tyres, saddle and wheels that she will probably want to change upgrade in the future as the miles pile up.

Back