Gear cable ferrules

Mowgli

Old School Hero
Boring topic I'm afraid, but I'm a bit stuck.

I have an old Mercian without the normal braze-ons on the down tube, so using a campag cable stop thing which clamps on. Problem is that the holes in the cable stop are only just big enough for normal gear cables, and furrules won't fit through. Without ferrules the cables are getting pretty mashed up at the ends with stray wires poking out.

Same problem with the cable stop on the chainstay - it has a hole big enough for the cable but not a ferrule.

I've seen some cables with the ferrule crimped on, so that it is no wider than the cable outer itself. Anyone know where I could get one like this?

Cheers!

Gareth

There's plenty of choice on Ebay including Campy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAMPAGNOLO-ST ... 27c89fedf4

Although, I think you'll find even the campy cable is to big with the ferrule, some guides are just designed to hold the cable without the ferrule. If the cable outer is secure at both ends I'm not sure why it would be getting chewed up.

Can you post a piccy? :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I can't help with the cables with fitted ferrules; I use ferrules which step-down, ie there is a section extending beyond the end of the cable which is smaller to fit in the cable stop.

My friendly local bike mech tells me that this is how it used to be done. Unfortunately he also tells me that they are a bugger to get hold of now.

However, being as this is Retrobike I'd wager that someone knows of a source for either the outers or the ferrules.

Robbied196":3dcezc1w said:
...some guides are just designed to hold the cable without the ferrule. If the cable outer is secure at both ends I'm not sure why it would be getting chewed up...
I'm not sure that's the case. I did try "going commando", but eventually the outer will get compressed and pulled through the stop to some degree.

I keep a stok of those hard to find step down ferrules for retro bikes!

Let me know how many you need.

To the OP

Do you mean you have to strip the plastic outer off to get it through the cable stop, or does the outer cable go through with the plastic cover ?

If you see what I mean.

Shaun

Hi,
The cable outer goes into the stop ok with a small gap around it, but the ferrule is too large to fit into the stop. As the stop is not a tight fit, the end of the cable outer gets mashed up. A temporary solution I'm using is to just put an alloy ferrule on anyway and let it butt up to the stop, rather than fitting inside. Seems to work but leaves the cable a bit wonky.
Cheers

Back