531 frame weight.

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Can any one weigh a 531 frame for me? lets say a 21" frame, ideally 531c. Maybe forks as well but seperately.
Why?
Well I want to build a light road bike but am on a budget for this one. I'll live with/not notice a few ounces over weight compared with a modern frame but not pounds. £2K would be nice to buy the Ti bike I fancy but that isn't happening and there are the bits in the shed to knock up a nice light bike if I can get a frame that deosn't weigh a lot.

My 59 cm ios not 531 but similar tubing and is 4.9lbs I think. Recon on 2 to 2.2kg depending in frame size.

I'd personally buy something I'd like to ride versus something on the scales....... Unfortunately the air we ride through and the number of pies we eat has quite a bit to do with it :)

Shaun

As much information as you can shake a stick at :)

Reynolds 531 tubing was at "peak" popularity in the era from around 1955 to 1975. During that era, the bike that won the Tour de France would have Reynolds 531 tubes about nine out of ten years.

Around 1974, Reynolds was making about nine versions of 531, including three "straight gauge" sets. There was a straight gauge set using 0.91 tubes, one with 0.81 tubes and a light set with 0.71 tubes.

One of the lightest tube sets of that era were Columbus Rekord straight gauge tubes with a thickness of just 0.50. That resulted in a frame and fork weight of just 3 1/2 pounds (plus the weight of the lugs). That is two pounds LESS than a popular version of Reynolds 531 double butted tubing, which was 0.71 thick, and 1.02 thick at the butts. Removing the "thick" area at the end of each tube reduced tube weight.

There is a myth that the quality of steel tubes is related to the thickness of the walls, so that a set with 0.91 walls is "inferior" to a set with 0.71 walls. Not true. Reynolds made only ONE quality of Reynolds 531. The purpose of offering a wide range of tube thicknesses and weights was to permit bike designers to use the tubes that best meet the needs of the rider. A bike designed for "loaded" touring, a bike designed for the "Tour de France", and a bike designed for use on an indoor track record attempt have different needs. And, sometimes, a heavier tube is the BEST tube for a given purpose.

A complete Reynolds tubeset included the top tube, seat tube, down tube, chainstays, seat stays, two fork blades, a head tube, and a steerer (but NOT the lugs). The lightest complete set in 1974 was the 531 SL with a weight of 3.75 pounds. The heaviest double butted set weighed 5.37 pounds. The heaviest "straight gauge" set would likely come in at about six pounds.

Of course, the actual "finished" weight of the frame depends on its size, and the lugs used. A size 60 bike using Reynolds 531 could weigh almost a pound than a size 52 bike.

On that note, I'd grab a 531 frame, build yourself a decent bike and forget about weight.

Ta.
I have all the details but want an exact weight for a frame. thats part of the project. How light can I build a specific bike.
Anyone got a frame in the garage?

Robbied196":2l0b34xl said:
Of course, the actual "finished" weight of the frame depends on its size, and the lugs used. A size 60 bike using Reynolds 531 could weigh almost a pound than a size 52 bike.

Design and lug choice count for a lot - years ago I was looking into handbuilt frame options and Nigel Wilson (of JF Wilson in Sheffield) reckoned with a careful combination of those factors he could build a 531c frame almost comparable in weight with a 753 one.

But I'd agree with what other have already said - ignore the weight and get yourself a nice frame that you'll enjoy riding. From the big bike firms, 531c frames from Dawes, Peugeot and especially Raleigh are worth looking out for - despite having an unfashionable reputation (undeserved IMO) in later years, they certainly knew how to design and build a good race frame at Triumph Road.

David

I think a 531 frame is not a weight weenie build. Frame size lugs used e.t.c will effet the weight so no one an give you any thing preice. The range I you is "typical" but the as mentioned there an be onsiderable variation.

531 tubest is not going to build into a weight weenie bike. Build the bike weigh it if you are curious and ride it. Ultimatley weight of the bike only affects it performane a little it. The rider has a much bigger input.

Back