Bernard Hinault - Reynolds 531

zedman

Devout Dirtbag
Hi

I've just bought this and wondered if anyone could shed some light on exactly what I have. It's decalled all over as Hinault, the 531 sticker is French and the cable guide under the bottom bracket is Vitus. I haven't seen one of these before so maybe someone could help with it's age, 80's ? etc... I'm aware of the Peugeot Hinault bikes and also the Look ones.

Most of the groupset is 105/600, bars /stem are ITM and seatpost Campagnolo.

Shame it's too small for me though.

Attachments

• Hinault 001.jpg
    Hinault 001.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 2,029
  • Hinault 002.jpg
    Hinault 002.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,027
  • Hinault 004.jpg
    Hinault 004.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 2,029
components dates around 1985-1988. Obviously 531 main tubes only. Looks like a nice build with the long point cut out lugs and vitus bb shell.

A wee bit of cleaning reveals the dropouts are campagnolo, so it seems to be French built, with English Reynolds tubing, Italian dropouts and components and a predominantly Japanese groupset. Jeux Sans Frontieres ! Still like to know who built it though. The Vitus bit is just the plastic cable guide under the BB.

When I was researching bike manufacturer Fonlupt (of La Clayette) a little while ago, I found a suggestion that they made frames for Hinault. I can't confirm that, but it might give you a lead to follow.

Hinault steel frames were still on display at the Mondial des 2 Roues in Paris when I last went a few years ago. Bernard was there in person.

My bike in blue HINAULT. The Reynolds 531 vinyl Birmingham UK version. Shimano 600 all and a little Campagnolo. Maybe a GITANE replica?

The Gitane '80 >> http://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog ... age_09.jpg

And my HINAULT >>
hinault____vitus___gitane___80_by_tiberio_san-d56r2ts.png

hinault_shimano_600_by_tiberio_san-d56rbes.jpg

Re:

Any updates on this thread?
Found and purchased the exact same bike! Did a lot of research, but couldnt find any information or pictures from the same model except yours.

Re: Re:

Jamie.F":2gy45w2s said:
Any updates on this thread?
Found and purchased the exact same bike! Did a lot of research, but couldnt find any information or pictures from the same model except yours.

Hi! My Hinault bike was an special sport-club version: HQ Campagnolo gear and Shimano 600 brakes and parts. Maybe limited edition in United Kingdome. Birmingham UK vinyl added for bike by seller, very few pieces exist. I sold it after renovation for ~100 GBP symbolic price. Perhaps there are similar bikes in rural England or France. Good Luck!

completely forgot i posted on here

i was asking as i'm currently restoring the same bike as posted above, but cant find any information about it

20211108_180254.jpg

Attachments

• 20211108_180310.jpg
    20211108_180310.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20211108_180321.jpg
    20211108_180321.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 2
Back