Late 80's Raleigh ID - Rapide - anyone got any info on it?

al-onestare

BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
This feels very odd posting on the dark side ;)

My old man was going to chuck out his steed. I almost had a heart attack and so it's mine now, pending pick up. Neither he nor I can remember what model it is, so some ID help is required.

It's late 80's, the same year I think, as the yellow and white Maverick that I got - he got this bike at the same time. It's white with black graphics and has Reynolds tubing but I'm not sure if it's 501 or 531. I think it was more of a tourer than anything serious and had a mock suede saddle.

Until I get my hands on it next month that's all I can recall. Any ideas of what it is? And more importantly will I be laughed off the road when I do it up? :LOL:

I cant help with the identification sorry but i can answer your question about being laughed off the road - No you wont by the majority of people who are true cycle enthusiasts :D

I did the Macmillan Dorset Cycle ride yesterday on my 1985 Raleigh Clubman with 531 tubing, (only did the 48 mile this year due to aging knees :oops:) i had a couple of people comment on how nice is looked and that they used to own similar bikes and quite a few admiring glances and people pointing.

And considering its age (and mine) it held up well the carbon fibre lovelies :D

:LOL: I'll be laughed off because my Dad is 5 8" and I'm 6 2" so this'll be a bit on the short side.

It has downtube non-indexed shifters...if I recall anything else I'll post it up.

al-onestare":190e8obc said:
:LOL: I'll be laughed off because my Dad is 5 8" and I'm 6 2" so this'll be a bit on the short side.

It has downtube non-indexed shifters...if I recall anything else I'll post it up.

What does 4" matter :D

The only thing i cant get used to going from my mtb to the road bike is the non-indexed shifters, when i get to a hill it sounds like a machine gun as i am trying to find the right gear which is usually acompanied by swearing then a hoorah :oops: :oops: :oops:

So, this is the model (not this actual one of course):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-racer ... 3cc824c94b

So I think that's Reynolds 531. Here's another one with wonky bars :LOL:

83raleigh_rapide_WB3801422.jpg

It's later than 87, I think it's more 88/89/90. Has anyone got any information on this or the catalogues from this era? I've checked here and sadly we're lacking in this area...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
With regards to being laughed at I would say it is unlikely. As an ageing bulging 60 something new to cycling I have found the the cycling world is a supportive community. For example when I fell over (not being used to cleats) laughter was stifled (more or less) and concern for well being expressed.
I think it also true that arriving on a steel steed you will look far less strange than someone arriving of £5000 + of modern cycle and then managing an average of 13 mph.

With regards to identifying a Raleigh the serial number will be revealing

Back