Can tub glue loosen base tape?

Johnsqual

Senior Retro Guru
Hello,

I was reading around about tub glue and came across a couple
of sources that said if you use the wrong type of tube glue/cement/mastic
it can dissolve the glue that holds the base tape onto the tub.

Is this correct (or have I misunderstood something)?

If true, is there any reliable way to know which glue and tubes are compatible? Presumably it would be ok to use vittoria glue on vittoria tubs, for example, but are there any combinations that definitely don't work?

Cheers,

Johnny

I've never heard that! I've used Mastik with Vittorias, Contis, Challenge tubs, all fine... just use Mastik and be happy ;-)

Used all sorts of combinations in the 70's without problems......

The difficult one was a very rigid red one (vittoria) meant for track tubs that the TT boys liked to used. Set rock hard and used to seperate the tape from the tub trying to get punctured tubs off. Cleaning was a nightmare.

I used to dread people bringing wheels in the bike shop with red tub glue :(

Shaun

Try "Cyclo-Cross" by Simon Burney (publ. Springfield Books) - both the newer and older editions have some good tub-gluing advice from an ex-GB team mechanic.

David

Rumor is 3M fastack has reacted with base tape but it has also said the base tape was pulled off upon removal because the fastack is to sticky. Stick with glues put out by tire manufactures and you will not have to worry.

tape for me . . .

over the last 25 years I have always used tubs on my bikes.

Until I started Track Cycling, I also never glued a tub, I always used tape without any issues!!!

The ONLY reason I use glue on my track wheels is because of other people, if they see that you are using tape, they will make a complaint and you wont be able to ride on track.

BUT - I use a combination of glue and tape for a number of reasons - its easier to get the tub off and its also easier to seat the tub correctly with tape + less messy.

I know of a few top track riders who use tape without any issues.

khushy

Back