kirk Magnesium WightSaveing CutUp frame&Carbon?ClearCoat

aCeMadMod

Dirt Disciple
hi it been some time , i had not been into road bike for the last few year's but my fire been liteing up with kirk Magnesium frame i have now both the road and mtb frame :)
ok the first Kirk Precision road frame i had strip all paint with alot of pain to get all the paint off it , i found out YOU MUST Never use water and steel wools Work great for alu , but never use on Magnesium. :(
i have been read alot for the the problem with Magnesium corroding , so i like to try use a mix of kirk Magnesium frame with alot or miller and holes drill out of it to Save wight 800 gm or more then use carbon fiber or hemp on top off it the frame to give the reinforcement back to frame this point , am having a hard time with , i trying to read online what if the Way to this safe to do this , i can"t seem to find info the combo , from what i know Magnesium breath , it has mary hole inside it so i if i don't do something the frame keep of berthing of under the carbon or hemp it sill be corroding ,, So if i use a paint primer the carbon may not stick the frame, is they a way to get a ? Anodisers coating or some thing . if i can't use the Magnesium and carbon in a mix can i get a Clearcoat of some kind to keep it Super Shine crome looking

I hope some one can help me get some new rear drop out has i don't have any yet,
i made the frame it take newer forks 1.1/8
but one thing Very odd this frame never look use, it did Not have any rear brake mounts, rear drop outs and bottom backet shell not any cable holders and did have any glue on the frame ,, and the headset dose have the headsetshell inside the frame but not have marks from use ,, the was a Siver piant? , not white or black, was it a prime coat , from kirk before it was fully done , and then put the scarp heap from failing the X ray
i hopeing some can help me out thank you

Attachments

• Image0015.jpg
    Image0015.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 822
The technique for bonding aluminium to epoxy for carbon fibre is to wet sand the frame with epoxy resin. I wolud use something like SP320 clear epoxy. This is good for structural marine work. You only need a thin film at the end to keep the air off the metal and provide a key for the fibres.

If you machine magnesium you need a LOT of coolant and a very slow feed rate. IIRC you need a special water-free coolant too. Then I worked in the aero industry we did all the Mg machining in a 'disposable' shed some distance from the main site so that if we had a fire it was not catastrophic. Mg fires are terrifying with intense light and heat.

Frankly I don't understand why you want to do all this, but I'm not going to criticise other people's hobbies. :cool:

Welcome to the weird world of Kirk bikes :D
I hope some one can help me get some new rear drop out has i don't have any yet,
Simon Haydn has spare rear hangers: http://www.kirk-bicycles.co.uk/Kirk-Spares.htm He should be able to help with any other bits...
P1020065.jpg

All the best,

Back