170 to 172.5 crank length - will I notice the difference

Kerplunk

Senior Retro Guru
Having built up my Gazelle with a modern Shimano 105 groupset I don't like how the chainset looks. Its just too chunky looking for the bike. Trying to find a replacement for a nice cheap price is proving tricky but Chain Reaction have a Truvativ Rouleur thats fits the bill but in 172.5mm only. Now I know there's a load of conflicting info out there but in reality will I really notice that much of a difference between 170 and 172.5?

I think it depends on how tall you are! Certainly for me (5'7", but longish legs) the jump from 170 to 175 was a disaster when touring and I got knee pain.

I reckon it depends on how sensitive your knee joints are - and what condition they are in! I have 170, 172.5, 175 and 177.5 on various bikes and ride them all. I can't feel an obvious difference TBH but on anything 'new/modern' (sorry!!) I'll be sticking with 172.5. However, my winter bike - which I do possibly more steady miles on than any other as I swop between assorted classics and moderns in Summer (!?!) - has 175.

I take my saddle height measurement from the top of the pedal spindle NOT the BB centre so crank length isn't an issue.

hamster":374nb1sw said:
170 to 175 was a disaster when touring and I got knee pain.

Old Ned":374nb1sw said:
I reckon it depends on how sensitive your knee joints are - and what condition they are in!

Ah, looks like I'll be sticking with 170mm then, got enough knee pain as it is. One of the reasons why I'm cycling is that my knees are too knackered to do any running.

So looks like I'll be looking for some nicer looking chainrings instead which will probably work out cheaper anyway.

Back