Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:03 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi folks, stumbled across this site and just joined. I have just purchased a FALCON PRO-AM Milk Race road bike, I had one of these back in the day, aswell as a 'Banana' a 'Victor' a 'Rapier' and others I cannot recall, always loved Falcon as at the cheaper end they always appeared better value than Raleigh. I bought this bike off ebay for £68.50 (which I think is a steal) it has hardly been ridden and still has the tag although I took this off to clean it, I'd like to see others old 'Falcons'? It has to be the best thing I have bought and the nostalgia is brilliant :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

That's a very clean looking bike, probably only ridden a handful of times :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:11 am 
Dirt Disciple

Mobilecyclerepairs wrote:
That's a very clean looking bike, probably only ridden a handful of times :)

Yeah the add said only ridden a handful of times, thing is its so clean Im unsure whether to use it or make it mint, sad I know but it seems too good to use which is why I bought it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Anyone got any tips on how to clean up old spokes, Autosol is going to take a very long time?

Cheers
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:12 pm 
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner
r.B.o.T.M. & P.o.T.M. Winner

Yellow Jersey wrote:
Anyone got any tips on how to clean up old spokes, Autosol is going to take a very long time?

Cheers
Mark

Ive used a mixture of very fine emery cloth and used flexible fine sanding blocks before, bottom line it need elbow grease whatever the approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Blimey that's a good find :)

The spokes aren't meant to be shiney for those wheels, just clean.

Are you thinking they should be chromed ?

Like the retro telly with Video at the front :D

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Thanks, I think elbow grease it is.

Ah right shaun cheers, I couldn't remember how mine was, I was thinking they werent chrome however they have gone sort of dull if you like, it looks like they have gone mouldy in places, I know they won't have done but its that kind of effect.

As for the TV, I have had that for 20 years and its there as its going to the tip; yours if you want it?

Thanks
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:12 am 
Retro Guru

Hi YJ :-) "thing is its so clean Im unsure whether to use it or make it mint" This happened to me last year, I bought a Falcon Team Banana expecting a nice useable run around, but it was minty mint perfect with just a flat tyre. Done around 6miles I reckon, the 6 miles from the shop to the sellers home :wink: I pondered using it, took it for a few decent 15mile spins, then put it up for sale as "collectors preferred". Simply never had the heart to run it into the ground and wreck it. Sorry I let it go now, but alas had about 9 bikes at the time. The guy who bought it loved it.

Your call what to do, but I agree it is a hard call to make when something this old is almost pristine. Beautiful piece of history, so well preserved. Later buddy, Laz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 am 
Dirt Disciple

Lazarus wrote:
Hi YJ :-) "thing is its so clean Im unsure whether to use it or make it mint" This happened to me last year, I bought a Falcon Team Banana expecting a nice useable run around, but it was minty mint perfect with just a flat tyre. Done around 6miles I reckon, the 6 miles from the shop to the sellers home :wink: I pondered using it, took it for a few decent 15mile spins, then put it up for sale as "collectors preferred". Simply never had the heart to run it into the ground and wreck it. Sorry I let it go now, but alas had about 9 bikes at the time. The guy who bought it loved it.

Your call what to do, but I agree it is a hard call to make when something this old is almost pristine. Beautiful piece of history, so well preserved. Later buddy, Laz

Yeah think it will end up on the wall in the Garage so I've started again to look for a Falcon Team Banana to build as a Retro frame with a more modern group set and some SUP rims in order to do a few 10's on. I will see what turns up, however if you still had the Banana I no doubt would have bought it for the other wall!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:12 pm 
Retro Guru

That is beautiful 8)
Thought I'd show mine too as you wanted :)
Also have 3 Claud Butlers and an Elswick Hopper.