Gearing Advice !

VanhireBoys

Dirt Disciple
Hi Guys
I have an old Vitus but I am finding it hard to push in the hills ! Maybe I am unfit .. At the minute its on a 13-21 6 speed and a 42-52T chainwheel. its Shimano 600

Is there anybody that could build me a freewheel maybe with a 24 or 26 first gear on.. perhaps a 39T chainwheel ..?

Thanks Lads in Advance

hamster":2l4wu4ky said:
You should be able to get up most UK hills with 39-23. I would swap the chainring first.

Thanks for that hamster.. I went up a hill yesterday with a 16% gradient and that was tough.. Nearly stalled it .. There was a warning sign at the bottom and I pulled the toestrap that tight that I broke it.... Got a cable tie off a lad in a van and then couldnt get a pair of snips to get out of it afterwards... A good days craic....!

gearing

I've noticed this as well - i used to get around just fine on 42-21 but 39-28 (which is just about doable on a standard short cage derailleur) is more like it these days. I blame old age. I build up my own cassettes - I use cheap/good value SRAM cassettes and dismantle them and build my own. there's only a small threaded rod holding it together and they come apart easily.

Personally I prefer a triple with a close cassette.
I run a 30/39/48 Racing T with a Campag Chorus short cage rear and 12-23 cassette. It's absolutely on the limit of what's possible (big big is very rattly).

The 30 is wonderful if you feel shattered or for when you meet those nasty British 20-25% climbs which you don't see so much on the continent.

Back