Tips needed to apply NOS rub on Columbus frame decal

Vic Brown

Retro Newbie
Hi all, my first post here after a few weeks lurking.

I've just acquired a NOS rub on Columbus Matrix frame decal to replace the damaged one on my 1988 Rossin Matrix. I know that you peel off the backing paper, place in position and rub and the decal should end up on the frame. If anyone has any experience with this type of decal and can help me with top tips, it would be appreciated.

Also, what is the best clear coat varnish/lacquer to use once applied?

thanks

Vic

Thumbnail or the "proper" plastic applicator thing that looks like.....well a plastic fingernail on a stick, failing that a lolly stick (eat the lolly first) :)

For those of a certain age we used to get "transfers" that made stories to keep us amused on long car journeys, fireball XL5 and al that. This gave us something to practice on LOL

Shaun

Make sure the area is wax free and dust free before you apply the decal by using something like
spectacle lens cleaner and blowing away any dust with a hair-dryer or using a 'tac-rag'.

A water based lacquer should be used in covering the decal, i've seen many old dry/water slide decals get ruined by using normal lacquer from car shops.

Something like micro gloss water based varnish from a model shop will be OK, don't use Tamiya as they might be alcoho;l based and wrinkle up the transfer....

Shaun

PS I will still be tempted to rub it down with the back of a finger nail LOL

Being a very big modeller and i have built hundreds ! One form of glossing lacquer is something called Klear or Future in the USA,
this stuff is floor cleaner/buffer/gloss coat for all floor types and just about every modeller uses this stuff, its totally clear and dries
within seconds to a beautiful shine. I did a whole bike with this stuff using a SPONGE and the results was an amazing shine and tough too.

Its really thin stuff so you need to apply it thinly and quickly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Used-Bot ... 500wt_1287

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I used Johnsons Klear floor varnish to finish my models too.....

I still have to finish the USA Century Series of fighters by Hasegawa which I started in Manchester in the 80's :)

Surely there must have been an improvement in water based varnishes in the last 20 plus years ?

Shaun

Thanks for the replies.

I've got a couple of smaller decals for forks, that came with the frame one. As I don't need them, I'll use them for practice before applying the frame decal. Better grow my nails a bit!

I better get to a model shop or order on-line, this stuff seems to be fairly commonly used instead of Johnson's Klear:Alclad 2

Thanks

Vic

Ian Raleigh":371ys5lk said:
Being a very big modeller and i have built hundreds ! One form of glossing lacquer is something called Klear or Future in the USA,
this stuff is floor cleaner/buffer/gloss coat for all floor types and just about every modeller uses this stuff, its totally clear and dries
within seconds to a beautiful shine. I did a whole bike with this stuff using a SPONGE and the results was an amazing shine and tough too.

Its really thin stuff so you need to apply it thinly and quickly.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Part-Used-Bot ... 500wt_1287

11 quid?! just googled it...2.55 at asda.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back