Cinelli bars: what's the difference?

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
This page is quite informative, but doesn't explain everything.

The difference between the Criterium & Track models and the others is clear, as is their intended purpose.

However, the Campione Del Mondo and Giro D'Italia look, to my untutored eye, much more similar.

The Giro look to be shallower, but contrary to what the blurb states, look more square than the Campione: what does square mean in this context?

Would one be more suited to distance riding than the other?

Also, apart from the additional width, what is the difference between the two Campione versions?

Many thanks.

Square usually means the tops of the bars are straight as you ride them and the bends are sort of 90 degrees as they come forward.

Track bars usually start to sweep farward from the junction with the stem....

I like Square bars as they have more variations of putting your hand in different places "on the tops" as I like to move my hands about a bit..

Shaun

Always Cinelli.

I have always used the 64 bend (Giro), I find the 66 (Campione) a little too deep for me...however both of these are v.good road bars.

You'll have to try both to determine what is most suitable (for you) in terms of bend and width.

No reason why you shouldn't put a Randonneur bar on a racing bike if you want a multiplicity of hand positions - it has to be comfortable.

Roadking.

Thanks for the explanations.

So, Criterium for my TT bike and either of the other two (three) for the fast road bike.

Which bars do you suggest I consider for my long-distance road bike?

I'm with Roadking on this. For general riding on a fast road bike it's a 64 (Giro) for me. The 66 Campione del Mondo drops me too low to be comfortable fo my back. For long distance touring I use a randonneur bar which has a slight upward lift on the top bends which then makes the drops splay outward slightly. I'm not sure if Cinelli did one in that style but I've always used an SR rando bar as it's quite subtle and has always suited me well.
Bar choice is very much down to preference through experience I'd say.

Back