Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Spray or powder coat
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:32 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Currently starting out on a build for weekend riding. The frame needs a bit of work and am thinking or re-spraying or powder coating. What would be the best option?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:51 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Depends on the frame really........I've seen quite a few frames powder coated which have looked nice. Far better than the gloopy, very thick, frame lug hiding powder coating of old.

Cheaper too.

what frame is it?

Shaun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:59 pm 
Retro Guru

If you can afford it and think the bike is worth it, definitely powder coat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:17 pm 
Dirt Disciple

It's only an old Raleigh milk race so nothing special. I know someone who can get it powder coated for £35 so might go for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Dmnic3 wrote:
It's only an old Raleigh milk race so nothing special. I know someone who can get it powder coated for £35 so might go for that.

May as well, spray paint costs about a fiver a can...plus undercoat...plus all the prep work. At 35 quid its the obvious choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:40 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Two pack polyurethane spray paint is higher and longer lasting gloss. If done well it's a superb finish. If not done in properly filtered spraybooth it can be a bit gritty up close (like mine).

Powder coat is thicker and more hardwearing but lower gloss. Easier for the appplicator to get an acceptable and consistent quality.

I had 20 years in the paint industry, just my thoughts. Go with powder for a no-nonsense hardwearing finish where cosmetics are less critical than durability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:02 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Ross 1964 wrote:
Two pack polyurethane spray paint is higher and longer lasting gloss. If done well it's a superb finish. If not done in properly filtered spraybooth it can be a bit gritty up close (like mine).

Powder coat is thicker and more hardwearing but lower gloss. Easier for the appplicator to get an acceptable and consistent quality.

I had 20 years in the paint industry, just my thoughts. Go with powder for a no-nonsense hardwearing finish where cosmetics are less critical than durability.

My local powder coater tends to finish the job off with a top coat of glossy lacquer; they've now done 3 of my frames and the end results are great value for money (all things considered I'd reckon on the cost being about 1/4 that of a traditional stove enamelling job).

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi David, it sounds like your applicator gives the best of both worlds, I learn something new every day! As long as he can keep the film thickness down (which good powder coaters can do) it sounds like a great solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:47 am 
Old School Grand Master

Location: Completely in the dark, thanks to me good mate Terry....
Ross 1964 wrote:
Hi David, it sounds like your applicator gives the best of both worlds, I learn something new every day! As long as he can keep the film thickness down (which good powder coaters can do) it sounds like a great solution.

The only downside is that they don't do decals, so I have to sort those myself afterwards, giving the relevant areas a 'key' with very fine emery paper, applying the transfers and then making good the slight damage done to the lacquer; Plasti-Kote spray varnish seems pretty good for this.

David