Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:03 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:41 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Unfortunately I suffered a stroke at New Year and now have a right sided weakness. The good news is i can walk but my right arm and hand, in particular, is not suited to bike riding. Anyway, sob story aside, I've begun to think about adapting a bike to help me recover. I suppose to be legal it needs two brakes so I was thinking coaster plus front leftie arrangement. Gears would have to be left hand control - nuisance is I'm right handed so can't be too tricky to use. Is there such thing as a rear hub that accepts a cassette and incorporates a coaster or am i stuck with a single gear or SA type, a maybe (forgive me) a fixie?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

How about hub gears, like Shimano or Rohloff and then the possibility of a single brake lever with a splitter to operate both brakes.

You would need to set up the bias on the brakes, but this is how many competition cars have their brakes, with separate front and back circuits, but operated from one foot pedals. There are BMX type cable splitters that could possibly be utilised.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Sorry to hear about your stroke.
As suggested either a SRAM dualdrive (which uses a hub gear to replace the front shifter and rings) or Shimano Alfine or Nexus. Alfine is simplest and with a twist shifter is easy to fit on the left. Alternatively a thumbshifter for the front with a gripshift for the rear if you keep a derailleur setup.

For braking I'd pick a Magura or disc on the front, and as you suggest a coaster. You can use a tandem front lever with twin cable pull, but it does require a lot of extra hand strength. One tandemist's trick is to use a thumbshifter to operate a drag brake for the rear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:04 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Thanks for the ideas. I might have a try with the Paul Duplex lever and compromise with flat bars
http://www.paulcomp.com/duplexlever.html

Does anyone know if thumbies can be mounted both on the left, above and below the brake, something like
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-sl-r ... prod32996/
- it looks like they possibly do right and left mounting? I could then have a left hand drive bike...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:02 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Di2 is good for this. Used to have a one armed American chap with the left stuff on the right and adapted for the right hand in his case.

Hope you get better or at least be able to adapt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:03 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

might be worth looking for any info on what Sarah Storey uses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:00 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
Not 100% sure about the logistics but what about a bar end shifter :?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:15 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Di2 is a real possibility, I reckon I might go there if I'm stuck with this long term.

Bar end shifters look possible with the handlebar mounts - might even take down tube shifters?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:43 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Just a thought, but would the much maligned stem shifters be of use? Sun tour Power shifters work well. Great that you want to keep cycling and good luck with your project.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

On the brakes, running a single lever with two callipers won't work, as the piston movement will be halved.

There are 3 manufacturers of special one lever/two brake systems that I know of:
-Magura Big Twin: http://www.magura.com/en/controls/produ ... aulic.html
-Tektro Auriga Twin: http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_produ ... &fid=1
-Hygia Multi: http://www.hygia.com.tw/prod-brake01-4.html

They are all designed to operate equally on both brakes (Double front discs or paired trike wheels) so you'd need to put a brake proportioning valve at the hose splitter to distribute the pressure...maybe 40/60% favouring the front, otherwise the rear wheel will lock.

On the gears:
-use a multi speed twist grip gear...Shimano Alfine, Sturmey, Nuvinci etc, or if you're feeling flush a Pinion drive equipped bike.
-Or the Alfine Di2, which just has push buttons
-Or the new Shimano electronic stuff which can be programmed to be fully sequential over two mechs with just an up and down button.
-Or really oldschool: the EGS Synchroshift... two mechs, two cables, one twist shifter.

Legally, as it would be an adaptation for disability use, a new bike with any of this work done could be exempt from VAT, too. Also any BS or EN retail product rules are bypassed as it's a custom product, so you don't have to run 2 separate brake systems like the rest of us.

Lost of set-ups here: http://www.mtb-amputee.com/bikemodifica ... _Amputees.

All the best,