Raleigh Milk Race

Dmnic3

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I have just purchased a Raleigh Milk Race frame with the aim of building up a road bike to ride at the weekends. I'm pretty new to bike building and would love to get some advise on what parts to source to complete the bike. I have a pretty tight budget too unfortunately so the cheaper the better but I still want to end up with a decent bike. I need to get:

- Front and rear wheels
- Front and rear dérailleur
- Gear levers
- Front and rear brakes

You should be able to source appropriate Shimano or Suntour front and rear mechanisms for sensible money and wheels too.

Ditto gear levers.

Just make sure your rear wheel is suitable for the width of the frame - measure between the rear dropouts (slots where the axle goes), which determines the wheel/hub width - I guess it'll be either 120mm or 125mm.

Weinmann brakes would be fine, they're good brakes but aren't regarded as"sexy"so are easily and cheaply bought - many vintage bike components are overlooked because of snobbery.

Have a trawl through ebay to get some ideas, then put a wants ad on here - there will be plenty of help.

Roadking.

Do you mean the shimano 105s?

Also any advise on good reliable (but cheapish) wheels. Depending on the frame width.

Dmnic3":4kfh2g70 said:
Do you mean the shimano 105s?

Also any advise on good reliable (but cheapish) wheels. Depending on the frame width.

Yes, a 105 rear mech will handle a 5 or 6 speed block/freewheel - 5 or 6 will be determned by width, which you have not specified.

Wheels are up to you, I don't know wether the bike was built for 27s or 700s...you need q/r clincher rims and your choice is based on your budget.

Try looking the bike up in an online catalogue for factory specs.

Rk.

That frame would have come with 700c wheels and it will take a 130mm back wheel without too much bother.

I wouldnt go too mad but there is plenty of 'stuff' that will fit. Brakes will be nutted as opposed to recessed allen bolts. Dual pivots can still be bought like this.

Enjoy it!

Back