crank & bb advice for single speed bike

danh86

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I recently brought a frame and forks of eBay with the hope of building this up as a fixed gear bike - this is my first time building a bike from scratch and I figured it would give me more of an understanding of chainlines etc. and try and get it looking just as I want.

The frame has 120mm-spaced track end forks and came with a miche square taper bottom bracket with english threads - as best as I can make out, the spindle is 107mm long.

I read the Sheldon Brown article on chainlines and interchanging JIS and ISO cranks on an ISO BB but I can't figure out whether I should try to find cranks to fit the bottom bracket or vice versa - in terms of what I'm after, I like the look of Campagnolo Record cranks and would try to find a second hand set of these - would something like that work ok??

Thanks,
Dan

Looking at the spindle length I guess that would fit a campag pista. IIRC the pista has an equal length and the strada was unequal and 112mm.

Dredging up some old memories but seems to ring a bell.

Shaun

thanks for the reply, the pista range of cranks look great but they're out of my price range - my hope was to find a Campagnolo double chainset and change this to single speed which I believe is possible(?)

If I do find some ISO cranks is it feasible to use longer bolts and washers to align the chainring correctly?

It's possible to grind off the inner shoulder and modify the bolts to fit........bit of a shame though.

Nope, the distance that the cranks sit away from the bottom bracket is set by the length of the spindle, you have to change the spindle and it's nothing to do with bolts and washers.

Am I thinking of the right era? Any pics?

Cheers

Shaun

Yes you can! Just move the chainring with spacer/washers as you need. Fiddly though.,
Easier to buy an old chainset that you like. (Try Hilary Stone)check it out with what you have then buy a new and cheap bottom bracket, longer or shorter as needed.
There are plenty of copies of older chainsets out there now, try Spa or SJSC to start with.

Sorry..thought you wanted to space out the cranks by placing washers on the face of the axle so effectively making the axle appear longer......

Shaun

Thanks for the replies - by the sounds of it I should just try and get a pair of suitable cranks and then get a suitable bottom bracket.

Is there a suitable BCD I should try and look out for if I'm to use the cranks for single speed?

Additionally, I havnt got a set of wheels yet for the bike; knowing that the spacing is 120mm, will this give a standard chainline width at the rear?

Thanks,
Dan

I have a Mavic Pista 170mm right hand crank only which - I think? - is very similar to Campag (unless anyone can say otherwise?) and takes 144 BCD rings (which I also have a few of). I also have a couple of left hand 'no-name' cranks which are quite usable and would match quite well.

If you're interested please PM to discuss.

EDIT - might also have a rear wheel?

Back